When does life become easy? When you retire? That’s what I thought until I did my place with the Retirement Village Association (RVA). I always envisaged retirement as being the easiest and somewhat the best times of your life as money shouldn’t be a problem. But like at any age, when you buy your first car, your first home, invest in a second property, and even divorcing, there is always the fine print! This is much the same when deciding to move into a retirement village.
My previous blog discussed my attempt at a sponsorship proposal to companies for the ‘Demystifying retirement’ workshop. For those who have not read this blog, the Demystifying Retirement workshop is a highly interactive workshop, which gives participants with a snapshot of the vibrant community lifestyle that retirement villages can offer. Those who attend hear from a range of industry experts talk across a variety of topics including types of tenure, entry contributions, ongoing service charges, the daily life of a resident, in addition to many financial and legal aspects associated with retirement village living.
On the day of the workshop, my role was to coordinate the day’s agenda and to make sure it ran smoothly. My first task was to help with the set up of the room. This included checking that the overhead projector was working, each table had water and the correct amount of RVA show bags and the lighting was appropriate. I then had to greet participants, provide them with a name tag and show them there allocate seats. During the day, I ensured that the program was running to schedule and each participant/speaker was okay.
After hearing all the guest speakers, I never knew how interesting yet involved I would find it. There is so much information that needs to be considered and like every speaker said on the day, “Do your homework thoroughly”.
It was rewarding to see an event that I had contributed to work out perfectly! I have studied the importance of event planning and understood that there are several criteria to be met for it to be successful. However, the most rewarding experience was being thanked from the participants and seeing them walk away more confident with what village life has to offer them.
Might I say the food was delicious too!
No comments:
Post a Comment