Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What I thought then, What I know (Part3)

Lesson 5: the bigger picture

From reading other blogs I think I speak for most interns I say we' all have had at least one moment over our placement when we think to ourselves “I’ve studied too hard to be doing this!!”


Classic ISTHTBDT scenarios include cleaning the office kitchen, licking stamps, filling envelops, organising store rooms, sending mail, buying kitchen supplies, assembling media kits, making coffees and other duties that could be completes by a 12 year old (or maybe a 17year old because you need a license to drive to the post office)


I was definitely guilty of this in the first few weeks. Imagining making calls to media and helping with the creative pitches, I was quickly brought back to earth when asked to make clients a flat white then shut the door behind me.


I also searched half of Perth to find a velvet pillow with tassels (to rest novelty size scissors on an opening) and folded over 100 tiny cardboard containers containing erasers shaped like fruit. Needless to say that was a long 2 days but by looking at the bigger picture, I realised there erasers were to promote the lets live better health message to children and I was making a difference not only to the progress of the campaign but to children’s health.


Not to mention by doing a good job with the remedial tasks I was earning my place in the office. I was eventually given more and more responsibility which was great because everyone likes an ill’ progress!


What I thought then:I’ve studied too hard to be doing this


What I know now: It’s all part of the intern experience and earning your place.


Lesson 6: Media magic

God bless BA Journalism and PR. That’s the general message your going to get from this lesson. I chose to study the two because I was told on orientation they go hand in hand (mind you this is before I knew what PR even involved) and it was the best choice my 17-year-old self could have possibly made.


A lot of the focus in my office revolved around gaining, generating and valuing positive media coverage. Sitting in a meeting where they are discussing news angles and how to pitch ideas to journalists, I learnt how much having an intimate knowledge of what the media are looking for in a story will help me in my later career.


Another reason Journalism has been handy is because it forces you to work on your phone manor. I made a lot of calls on behalf of my agency to businesses and being able to confidently and competently speak on the phone with strangers comes pretty naturally after 3 years of making journo calls.


What I thought then: Journalism and PR is a handy study combination


What I know now: Journalism and PR as a duel degree is the best decision I have made


Do you think journalism is too saturated with PR? Read this article and see what you think. I certainly feel the line is blurring!


No comments: