Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chevron City to Surf for Activ

Hello All!!

So this is my first blog for PR393, even though i've been at my placement for 3 weeks now.

Along with Georgia and Sarah, I too am at Corporate Sports Australia two days a week 9am - 5pm (hours worked by people in this 'real world' I hear talked about) working with the team for the 2011 Chevron City to Surf for Activ - long name I know! I'm quite thankful for the automated signatures you can put on emails because typing that out can be quite time consuming.
Being an incredibly passionate AFL fan, it's actually one of the best fitting places for me to be. The amount of sporting memorabilia I am surround by is amazing, and there's always someone interesting popping by for a meeting.

Technically my role has been Sponsorship/Signage PR but i've done a lot of work across the board and not just specifically for this role.

My first day at City to Surf involved getting to know the other employees, the event, the event website, Facebook, twitter and PerthNow page. It was quite a productive and busy first day - for the first half I was extremely busy answer emails and assisting visitors with collecting their promotional packs (containing posters and registration forms). The second half of my day involved a phone interview with Paul Trimble from which i would draft up a media release. Paul's story is quite an incredible one and so I was excited at the thought of preparing this MR.. more on this later.
And that was my first day over.

Since my first day I have continued to answer emails and phone enquiries - a task which can easily frustrate the coolest of cucumbers. Repetitive and sometimes inappropriate and ridiculous enquiries must all be attended to - whilst it may not be the most glamorous job, it is somewhat entertaining and if I can help the other team members out by performing some of the more trivial tasks then that's fine by me.

I've also done some more interviews and MR's and even written up some mailers (the database has about 50000+ people on it, so it's kind of cool to know that what i've written has reached quite a lot of people). Updating inventory spreadsheets, drafting questions to be sent out as post-event survey's, organising parking passes and designing start/finish line arches (big banners that have all the sponsors logo's on them) have been some other tasks i've also completed.

Sad news for me the other day though. The media release I wrote on Paul Trimble was picked up by Channel 9 and they wanted to interview him and run a story - Paul agreed. I was so excited, and then my spirits were a little crushed when Paul changed his mind and decided he no longer wanted the story to run. But hey, it was a rather personal and somewhat confronting story and we can write countless MRs and never see them run - at least my story actually got picked up.

Sarah and I have also taken a few trips to a sea container out in Vic Park where some items have been stored. If you want a good laugh then you should come watch us try to open and close this thing! We've had to count poles, fold mouldy flags and find sponsor and marquee signage - this I suppose is more relevant to my specific role in terms of sponsorship/signage PR. The event's major partner this year is Chevron - who have over 1km of signage space for the course, and with Chevron being such a large company it's imperative that they are pleased in hope that they will continue to support the event in its years to come.

I've done so much in my first 6 days at City to Surf and with the event just over a month away I expect to be very busy in the upcoming weeks.

- Samantha Abbot
14284814
Curtin, Bentley

No comments: