Hi Everyone,
I apologise, this is such a late blog, time flies so quickly and so many times I've reminded myself, then the next assignment takes over! Anyway here I am....
My names Jessica Geach and I am working at a high end fashion label, Manikinn. Manikinn is owned by a beautiful young woman, Shereen Huber which other than being hectic most days, she creates such a relaxed and friendly working environment which I thoroughly enjoy and is the reason why I've continued to working for her.
Manikinn is a woman's commerical online fashion label which is distributed, sold and recognised internationally, even good friend Mel B is a huge supporter seen sporting some of the classic Manikinn tees and tanks. Established in Sydney 2 years ago, the start of the year brought Shereen and her husband Jamie relocating back to Perth where they both originally grew up.
I began working at Manikinn last semester for 2 months which was when they first offered placements for an intership were I joined 7 other girls. We were warmly welcomed and given a particular day and job description to fulfil throughout our placement, though even with individual job titles, we all merged in and out of each others depending on the duties of the day.
My job description was the social media co-ordinator which looked into their website; writing weekly blogs either about Manikinn or the latest fashion goss. I also was producing Manikinn TV where I would head on to the street to interview people shopping along Beaufort st and ask questions about their fashion styles or the possibility of styling them within the shop, in Manikinn clothing.
There was also the subject of facebook/ twitter updates/ posts and events to create and invite people to. As I said before we weren't limited only to our area's were I also blended into other aspects which included working on PR/ Marketing plans and brainstorms into further promotion and upcoming event management.
At present Manikinn is relocating which is a bit hectic, though will be great being closer to where I live and also in a more open and available location. This time around I am working closer with the PR/ media liaison within Manikinn's media representation, looking more indepth to the out sourcing and promotion of Manikinn outside of the online arena. This also looks into further involvement into upcoming and future events which I am very excited about.
I started this degree with the interest and outlook of mixing it together with my Fashion and Design diploma that I studied at TAFE for 3 years prior which therefore Manikinn is exactly why I am at Manikinn. My future plan has also been to set up, similar to Manikinn, an online fashion store where I can wholesale my own line of clothing and other labels as well.
This experience is very beneficial as it gives me direct outlook of what it all entails and what I have to do, to get to where I want to be. Not only am I gaining experience, I am also meeting and working with great people who respect, encourage and appreciate everything you are doing and throughout that, I have been lucky enough for so many further options of work through Manikinn and look forward to what the future may bring.
Until my next blog....
Jessicaxx
3 comments:
This sounds awesome Jess and something that is really relevant to what you want to do :) its interesting that they have created an intern position of social media coordinator as it shows how significant social media is in marketing these days! good luck with your own label!
Eva
Hi Jess,
Sounds like you are having a fantastic time and learning alot. Its just great that you have been able to find a placement that really fits in with what you want to do. Its amazing how much the use of social media has grown in the last few years, a very relevant skill for you to be gaining! Here's hoping that you enjoy the rest of your internship and best of luck with your own label!
Kristy
It's so great to see you taking advantage of your prac placement! I'm so happy for you, that you have landed a position within a field you’re so passionate about; it makes working there for free worth it haha :)
Best of luck in your future goals and endeavours, and I look forward to hearing all about Manikinn (and their upcoming band!!) through your social media monitoring.
I'm sure you will do amazing!
Post a Comment