On the left, The Minister of Education at the World Book and Copyright day.
On the right, The Prime Minister of Mauritius at an event in Cap Malheureux
Hey there,
As promise, I am back again with my new topic on “EVENTS”. During my internship, I have attended loads of events like the Opening Ceremony of the 15th Model United Nations Conference, the publication of the Creole Dictionary, the World Book and Copyright Day, Workshop on Food Program in Early Childhood Care and Education Authority and many others.
Before my internship, I always thought that the organization of an event is easy task but I was completely wrong. I also thought that events had nothing to do with Public Relations and here also I was wrong. I always thought that all the work was done by an event manager but during my internship, my supervisor showed me the tasks which were assigned to a PR practitioner during and before an event.
Before an event, I had (under the supervision of my supervisor), to send invitation to the media; sending them a factsheet (brief) and a media release on the event, whether it is on Model United Nations, how many high schools will be present, etc. All information that would be important would be sent to the journalist through mail. If ever, one or more journalist did not get back to me or my supervisor, I had to call them and see to it if the particular newspaper or radio is sending a representative to cover the event.
When I attended my first event, I realized that a Public Relation officer had a lot to do with the smooth functioning of the event. Actually, whenever a Minister/ the Minister of Education and Human Resources is attending an occasion, everything has to be done according to the protocol. Each time there was an event, my supervisor, the Advisor in Communication matters and I, had to reach one or two hours before the start of the event, to see to it whether things are being done correctly, that is, check the speech, have a look at the program, if the media has already arrived, if the MBC (local television) has been able to install all its equipment. This is quite interesting as you have the opportunity to meet new people each time you attend an event and also try to maintain a good relationship with the journalists. During the different events, I had the opportunity to meet the journalist and befriend some of them and this can be an advantage for my future career as networking is one of the most important things for a PR practitioner. Right??
During the events organized by the Ministry of Education and Human Resources, it sure had lots of work behind such events but the most amazing organization was when the Prime Minister attended one of the occasions. It was just awesome to look at the bodyguards, the protocol was completely different, the seating position was completely different, and everything had to be done according to the officers and the Public Relation officer of the Prime Minister’s Office. That was really stressful but I really enjoyed working with the officers on that day.
What I have learnt during these events??
- · Invitation letters
- · Factsheet
- · Media release
- · A public relation practitioner should always have a good relationship with the media
- · Pay attention to all details
- · Always review the speech before the Event
- · Try to find solutions instead of being stressed
- · Developed my communication skills
- · Networking, Networking, Networking
Here you are, hope you have enjoyed reading the blog on Events. My next and final blog will be more about the last weeks at the Ministry.
Have a question for me? Put it in the comments below and I'll do my best to get back to you!
Manishka Kistamah
Charles Telfair Institute
6 comments:
I didnt know that PR practitioner had to deal with the preparation of events. Its nice to see that you are enjoying your internship even though its stressful. Keep the good work. Good luck for everything
its nice to see that u are enjoying urself while working! actually, i dont rilly no how a pr practitioner works but it looks quite stressing a single mistake can change the schedule completely! luckily u learned lots of interesting things during ur internship which will help you soo much for ur future career!good luck and wish u all the best for ur future :)
Wow! that looks like hard work out there. Good to see that you are learning and enjoying at the same go the ins and outs of the job. Awaiting eagerly for the next blog. Keep us posted ;)
Hi Manishka, thank you for sharing that insightful post on event management.For my internship at CUT, I have done many things related to event management! In fact a public relation officer is often involved in coordinating an event and I think that this is one of the most exciting duties for a PR.Networking is surely an important thing because a PR is in constant need to develop long lasting RELATIONSHIPS with the various stakeholders.
Hey Manishka!
Events can be a pretty hefty task, as you have to get everything right, and there is no room for error and I believe it gets harder when it comes to the Ministry, with all the protocols and all.
But i guess you've got it spot on, and dealing with events again helps you with time management and with a very good 'ergonomic' perspective (in the right place).
And as you said, 'event' do not start on the day of the ceremony and ends after the ceremony in question.
There is a whole lot of work prior and after the event.
Invites, liasing with the media, follow up, releases...
That's what PR is all about, and while doing all that, you get to work on your networking too!
Good work.
Naresh.
CTI
Hello Manishka,
I am glad to hear that you are having an enriching experience at the Ministry of Education. I could deduce from your post that working for ministries can sometimes be hectic. But I must say that you are coping really well with the heavy workload.
Organising Events as we all know are sometimes stressing and tiring but at the end, they can turn out to be fun. Planning for an event and actually doing it is something totally different. You are absolutely right in saying that it is not as easy as it may appear. A lot of preparations need to be made and I can very well understand how time-consuming this may be as I also went through this during my internship.
Unlike me, you got the opportunity to work with journalists. I do hope that you have taken this golden chance to build a good network with the media people.
I look forward to meeting you in the very near future so as we can discuss our experience in organizing events.
For more details about events in NGO, do please check my upcoming post on events at Amnesty.
Till then, enjoy your placement.
Darla
Post a Comment