Thursday, September 8, 2011

Meetings, meetings, and more meetings!

Hi everyone, this is my second blog and for those of you who haven’t read my first, I am doing my placement with Jones Lang LaSalle at the One40William (140) precinct in Perth’s CBD.

So now I am ten days in and would like to share what I have learnt about the business/corporate environment at 140. I have seen put in place what I have been told oh so often at Curtin; that networking and developing strategic relationships in the business world is extremely important. And I have now witnessed that this really is true!

Throughout my two days a week at 140 I have learnt that my mentor will have at least one meeting a day (if not more). These meetings will take place with anyone ranging from the tenants, to the communications consultancy to the hired public relations firm. I have watched my mentor attend meeting after meeting and depending upon the party, I have noticed that she will adapt her mannerisms and structure of speech to act in accordance to the relationship developed.

Although my mentor is only 25 years old she gives off an aura of confidence and as a lot of us are budding PR professionals about to enter the big wide world, I believe it is an important skill to develop, especially when trying to obtain a job in the field of communications. My mentor has the ability to conduct herself in a way that exudes knowledge and persuasiveness. This is something that I am currently aspiring to master in order to improve my attractiveness as a competent public relations and marketing practitioner.

I also got to sit in on my first meeting the other day, which was very exciting and interesting! As I am not an official employee of 140 I was not allowed to comment on the discussions but it was still great to see the logistics of how such a meeting would be structured. The meeting attendants consisted of my mentor, a public relations senior advisor, two Perth Fashion Festival (PFF) organisers and two of the communications consultancy’s employees. The centre purpose of the meeting was to discuss promotional tactics aligned with PFF that would maximise brand awareness for 140.

The main lesson I learnt from the meeting was that great ideas need to be supported with the required necessities to implement them efficiently and effectively. One may have a fantastic idea but if the correct logistics are lacking then the idea becomes worthless.

So for a final note before I leave, I would like to emphasise the main point that I have endeavoured to get across to you all today. Make the most out of the valuable industry contacts you are meeting over the course of your placements, networking really can reel great benefits so it’s in your best interests!


Tahnee Renshaw

13944984

Bentley Campus

3 comments:

c.morgan said...

Hey Tahnee,

Sounds like you have been super busy! I'd just like to add that I completely agree about making contacts and developing relationships! it is so useful!

I work for a not for profit company and during my first week we went to a peak body meeting with other organizations in the shire that I work in and later on when we were trying to get sponsors for some of our events they remembered us and were more than happy to donate and even recommeneded other companies that we could try to get sponsorship from too!

It is also very valuable to know how to act around certain people too, in a professional environment you have to adapt your mannerisms to come off as organised and professional but if you are perhaps at an event which is more casual and social it is more appropriate to be more laid back and casual too.

Your internship sounds like its going great, and working in a corporate environment in the cbd sounds like a huge contrast to my not for profit organization up in the hills!

looking forward to your next post,
Caitlin
14283109

Demi Wright said...

Hey Tahnee,

I'm really enjoying your posts, it's interesting to hear the similarities between our placements even though we are in completely different working environments.

I'm completing my professional placement at a small business in Margaret River.....you may be wondering what there is to do in a smaller country business- lots!

The similarity that stands out for me, is the importance of relationships which you mentioned in this post.

Although it is obvious that "relations" is what Public Relations is all about, I probably underestimated it's importance before seeing it in action in a working environment.

The business where I'm completeing my internship was nominated for a National Telstra Business Award after winning the Western Australian division.

In the lead up to the National Award night, my mentor highlighted the importance of acknowledging and developing relationships with all other finalists, and authorities involved with the awards.
We also continued this post awards.

As my internship is in a country tourist town, it's one of the highest importance to develop and maintain strong relationships with the community as well as with tourist and tourism bodies.

In the end, good relationships equal good business.

Thanks for sharing with us, and looking forward to your next update.

Demi

Tahnee Renshaw said...

Hi girls!

I am very pleased to hear that you both have been able to see what developing great relationships can really do for a business as well. I recently had an interview for a marketing position at a consultancy in Leederville of which I have been able to use a few of the office staff at my placement as referees. It's yet another example of how the relationships I am developing now are becoming valuable for the progression of my career to come. Anyhow, I will let you know whether my referees paid off for me and I hope you both enjoy the rest of your placements in the wilderness!

Good luck and I will also now be looking out for your posts to see the similarities.

Tahnee
13944984