Saturday, September 3, 2011

Selecting the A list!

Hello again everyone :)

Today I would I like to share with you my experiences in helping to plan Manikinn’s launch party. Although Manikinn is already established as a label, Shereen and Kat wanted to hold a launch party to welcome the brand and offices into Perth.

There were many tasks that needed to be completed to make the whole event come together. First we were briefed by Kat to understand what the theme of the event was and what would be involved. The event was to be held after I finished my internship so I don’t want to give any details away.

Some of the early tasks I had to complete were to research celebrities’ guests to invite which fitted with Manikinn’s young brand image and of course were highly recognized in the Perth community. The guests were not just the cliché models or TV hosts but also sporting and radio personalities.

The next tasks over the following weeks were to source props, caterers and equipment for the night. As Shereen is inspired by the city of Paris the theme was Parisian, which is something i also love so it was a very easy and fun task to complete. As there was a small budget for the event, sponsorship for some equipment was required. Kat taught me how to approach companies for sponsorship, the trick being not making them feel forced or obliged to be involved but allow them to see the event as an opportunity for exposure for them.

Unfortunately not many companies replied. This experience taught me to always be persistent and determined, once someone says no move onto the next potential opportunity. This also taught me the importance of time management and getting the set tasks done as best you can so you can move onto the next one. The event planning was tedious at some points but it taught the importance of persistence.

I hope you are all continuing to enjoy your placements :)

Alana – Bentley campus

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hi Alana,

Wow this sounds like such an exciting period in your internship!I must say, although you seem super busy some of those tasks actually look quite enjoyable :)

As I am currently completing my placement at a not for profit organisation, I completely agree with you about your comments regarding gaining sponsorship. i'm glad that you could learn from the tough experienc, that will definitely come in handy in the future! I will also take on board your tips about not pressuring sponsors, rather implying as an opportunity for exposure.

Hope all of your events run smoothly!

Holly Barclay 14274307