Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sun Resorts Placement - How Time Flew By...


Hi everyone,

I'm back again to tell you more about my placement at Sun Resorts Ltd. It is unbelievable how my internship has flown by quickly giving me hardly any time to write on my blogs. It was so busy and hectic that now I somewhat lag behind on my blog posts. But better late than never...

During my time spent at Sun Resorts Ltd, I have been assigned with several tasks and responsibilities; some very interesting and enriching and others to a lesser extent but I now draw full satisfaction from this internship experience as I have indeed learnt a lot from my superior who have not only helped me in his position of Communication and Public Affairs Manager but also on a real PR practitioner side as well. During the course of my placement, I also learnt what it requires to be a good PR practitioner and the key skills and qualities crucial to this field. This internship helped me gain hands-on PR experience.

Many a times, people tend to think that communication is just about talking and persuading just as marketers would usually do but it is important to note that it is also about a lot of listening, researching, planning and thus responding responsibly and ethically to what is being asked and said. I will further elaborate on this in my next post and especially on how hoteliers and the tourism industry alike make use of Public Relations.

Without saying too much, I will emphasise on the various tasks assigned to me during my placement and how I carried them out to the best of my abilities; without mentioning how stressed and panicked I've been at times!

Moreover, I have been fortunate enough to help in organising two prestigious South African Lifestyle Magazine and Television Channel press visits to the group's new resort, Long Beach Mauritius with my superior and my two colleagues; whereby I even learnt the reservation system they use for their hotels and how it works! I also had the opportunity to experience one major event namely "The Dodo Trail 2011" held at La Pirogue Hotel and help in the planning and organisation of forthcoming events of the group.

Some of the tasks assigned to me at Sun Resorts Ltd:

  • Drafting and writing press releases (Dodo Trail 2011, Blue Penny Exhibition in Berlin, Chefs' profiles in specialised magazines etc)
  • Translating biography texts on the different Chefs (Chefs David Laval, Sandy Scioli & Barnaby Alan Jones)
  • Translations of press kits
  • Writing biography texts on the group's different Chefs
  • Research local equestrian press contacts
  • Hotel visits
  • Media clippings
  • Planning press visits to Long Beach (Mauritius)
  • Texts for SRL's Facebook Page
  • Updating SRL's Facebook Events' Albums
  • Creating new events on SRL's Facebook Page (Uploading logos, pictures & texts)
  • Helping the Web Master in creating the Marlin World Cup 2012 website
  • Mailings and reservations to the group's hotels (F&B, Spa etc)
  • Media Lunch (Dodo Trail 2011)
  • Helping in the Dodo Trail 2011 press conference planning
Here is a list of some of the activities I have been assigned with during my internship.

So bloggers, now I'm back to uni having having spent more than a month in the corporate world. I will keep you updated on the various events of the group and those in which I have helped and worked on as well as some more details on the Dodo Trail 2011, the Marlin World Cup 2012 and the Blue Penny Exhibition.

Looking forward for my next post in a couple of days.

Cheers.

Anicksha Boolell
14436314
Charles Telfair Institute







6 comments:

Manishka Kistamah said...

Hey Aniksha,

Sounds like you have been super busy!It's interesting to hear the similarities between our placements even though we are in completely different working environments.

I am actually doing my internship at the Ministry of Education and Human Resources and am loving it. Sure we are putting all we've learned during these 3 years into practice.

Your internship sounds like it was just awesome and working in this environment (Sun resort) sounds like a huge contrast to my Ministry.

Waiting for your next post.

Manishka Kistamah
Charles Telfair Institute

Smriti Bauhadoor said...

hey Anicksha,

it seems like you had a very busy internship during your holidays and it comprises with our field of study as well. well i am having my internship at Amnesty international and my responsibilties are different from yours. i have actually enjoyed participating in fund raising activity. Your internship sounds awesome and u have covered mostly each and every part of public relations

Annabel said...

Hi Aniksha,

It sounds that your internship are full with hard work and experience.

It is interesting to see the workload you have been assigned to and it seems like you enjoyed it, although, stress and panicked.

I am actually doing my internship at Neologik Ltd a PR company specialised in media relations.

And I can see some similarities within my sphere and yours, that is why I understand your stress. Because at times it seems like, what we have been doing in class is different from what is being done in the professional world of work.

Fortunately, there are PR professionals like our directors to counsel and guide us during this intern.

I do think that you will agree with me that during this internship, experience worth more than a salary.

Cheers.

Annabel

Sandy.N said...

Hi Anicksha!!

I see that your internship was very full with activities and that you had a huge workload!!! It’s good to hear that you were able to manage all this. I’m impressed by all what you had to do and envy you. Even though you had many things to do and were stressed and panicked at some times, I guess it was very fun too sometimes and working in a paradisiacal environment must have a plus. Being in such environment sometimes make you think that there is no better place to work and it gives you a boost. I remember the times when I worked in a hotel and even I had lots of things to do and was stressed, when I looked to the beautiful scenery I had of the sea, it just boost me to keep working and give an excellence service to the customers (although sometimes you would love to be at their place).

You are right to say that communication is not just about talking and persuading, there is also the listening, researching and planning part; as without doing research to know a subject more in-depth, without listening to what the client wants or expect to have, without a good planning, we can’t talk and persuade the customers about what we are giving them as somehow what we are giving them is not what they wanted or expected and we haven’t understood anything at all.

Anyways it is good to hear that your supervisor was a good guide and not so many people would say that. It is good that he showed you how to become a good PR practitioner and what are the key skills and qualities that you need to possess to be able to be good in this field. Now you had had a view of what is waiting for you in the future and you are quite prepared to that. You know what to do and I guess that you would be better and I can say that when you are used to the workload you will be less stress and panic. Also doing this kind of job you need to be passionate about it and this will make you less stress. Just enjoy what you are doing by applying all what you learned in lectures and during your internship and just put it in practice.

I wait for your next posts as I want to know more about your internship.

Cheers,

Sandy NMH
Charles Telfair Institute (CTI)
Mauritius

Naresh Roodur said...

Hey Anicksha,

I see you've been having fun at Sun Resorts. I must say the tasks assigned to you are not that different from what I've been doing at Imagine Communication.

And it's just great to finally putting whatever we've learnt during our past 3 years at CTI, in practice. And i find the professional much to my liking, as I've been able to take some responsibilities, something I never thought to be able to.

I will be posting my 'assigned tasks' soon, and we might as well discuss on our what we've been doing, and share our experience with our fellow PR mates.

Looking forward to your next post.
Peace.

Naresh Roodur
14422135
Charles Telfair Institute

Darla said...

Hello Anicksha,

It is really nice of you to share your experience from your internship with us. I can see that you were very busy with your work there and that you really took it seriously. This is really good actually. Do keep it up.

I was at Amnesty for my internship and I can say that I was quite busy as well with the workload. Sometimes I had to submit a work after just a short period of time. At university, we got that habit of having a 3-week time frame to submit our work. However, this is not the case at work and I took it as a challenge to finish and produce nice pieces of work to my colleague before the deadlines. I guess that what the corporate world is all about. Always busy, busy and busy!!!

I do also agree with you that as interns we got the opportunity to learn a lot from our superiors. I think that was really important for our career as future PR practitioners. My two colleagues were always here for me to show and explain to me how to be really efficient and effective in my work. I really do owe them.

Skills and capabilities are of great importance in this field as you clearly stated. Fortunately, I got the chance to develop my skills and demonstrate my capabilities during my internship. This has helped me a lot to improve where I was lacking.

I would like to point out that research is indeed an important part of PR. I got the opportunity to work on a task with Amnesty where no research was conducted and the activity turn out to be a fiasco by the end.

I will be looking forward to your next post on events and the tourism industry.

Till then…keep up the good work!!!

Darla
CTI