Sunday, October 2, 2011

The begining of a new experience

Hi everyone,

I have gotten a placement as a PR intern at a graphic design company Starlink Design here in Perth for PR393 unit. Ive always interned at PR firms in the past and this is my first time doing it at a graphic design company.

Because this company is fairly new (3-4 months old), it is only the owner herself running the business and one web developer that she outsources to help do her work. She has no marketing nor PR person working with her - i saw this as an opportunity because previously i have always had PR seniors guiding me and giving me things to do - working at Starlink would give me the opportuniy to use all my PR skills that i have learnt for the past years in uni plus the past PR experience that i have gained from other firms i interned with. I also feel that having knowledge in the graphic design industry would help me in my future career because i feel that nowadays in communication, everything is all integrated.

The first 2 days i met my boss, she introduced me to her company and showed me everything about starlink and its upcoming projects. She has new websites and project launches coming up in the near future and asked me to try and find ways to interest the media.

So right now i will be researching appropriate media outlets to pitch about her new upcoming project and launches and hopefully find the right angle that might interest the media and pitch it to them.

I also suggested that because her business is fairly new, she needs generate traffic for her website, and in order to do that i thought of writing related articles/blogs which i would assist her with.

I am so excited because this is the first time i am handling the PR side using my own knowledge and experience without any assistance from PR experienced seniors.

I really really hope all goes well.

regards,

Margareth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margareth,
Wow, I can't believe you are just starting your placement yet you seem to have so much experience! It should be a great avenue for you to exercise your skills and take on some responsibility.
Good luck!
Lauren.

Lucy.s said...

Margareth,

I also undertook an internship at a newly established firm. It is great to see not only your bosses work on PR projects but also see them work as a business person. It definitely shows you the time and sacrifices that go into starting your own business. It sounds like your boss is being extremely successful in their pursuit to start their own business.

I wish you success as you embark on your exciting internship!

Lucy