Hello all and welcome to my last blog of the semester. I recently finished my placement with Jones Lang LaSalle and boy do I have an inspirational story to leave on.
Upon starting in the office at 8.30am on Thursday morning I began to have a chat to my mentor about a position I had seen advertised on SEEK. It was a Marketing PA role for the Australian Industry and Lifestyle Exhibitions in West Perth and looked like the perfect entry-level position for myself. I asked my mentor what she thought about me heading over to the office to drop my resume` off in person and whether or not it was too full forward. She said what the heck, you've got nothing to lose and so off I went.
As we are all aware, the industry of marketing and public relations in Perth is extremely competitive and it's hard to stand out against one another with minimal paid experience. This knowledge was one of the main factors that pushed me to distinguish myself amongst the pile of applications and take on a different approach.
Upon arriving at the office and requesting to the receptionist that I speak with Mr Webb I overheard the director comment that an appointment would have been good. I immediately began to doubt whether I had made the right decision but he allowed me to have a seat in his office and things went great from then on in.
Mr Webb proceeded to tell me that he had received over 100 applications since advertising the position less than a week ago and I explained that that was the exact reason I had come to his office. I told him that I had come to speak with him in an effort to stand out and show my eagerness for the position. It seemed my initiative did that plus much, much more.
I had an interview with Mr Webb on the spot and sold myself as best I could. It was then that I heard those magical words we all long to hear - congratulations, you've got the job. I was in utter shock but accepted the position on the spot with great pleasure. The director explained to me that the marketing department needed someone to start immediately and so I confirmed I could start Monday, which has left me juggling my last week at university with my first week of employment.
I am beyond excited and cannot wait for my first day tomorrow. Mr Webb said that he would teach me and help me grow within the company in exchange for my loyalty, which of course I am willing to do because it is such a fantastic opportunity. As the company is a national boutique events organisation that specialises in industry and lifestyle exhibitions my role is set to be extremely diversified. I am required to provide support for the events both in WA and the eastern states with the opportunity to travel interstate.
So what is my advice to you all? Step outside the square and be unique in your approach. I wish you all the very best of luck for your future endeavours and I hope to run into a few of you in the workforce.
Tahnee Renshaw
13944984
Bentley Campus
2 comments:
Dear Tahnee,
I think your approach was excellent. I have always found approaching people boldly and personally has worked the best for me and allowed me to achieve the things that I really want. By improvising and thinking on the spot you showed that you could handle a spontaneous situation and work under pressure. I wish you all the very best for yout work with this company. I have also recently found a grauduate position in central london at the Gherkin and I am enjoying the daily challenges that it brings. Perhaps we will cross paths one day when I return to Perth!
Congratulations
Victoria Hainsworth
Wow Tahnee what a great approach! Congratulations on the job and I might just have to think about my next job application approach differently =)
Post a Comment