Well my work experience at Lloyd Events is almost over for this unit but I'm really lucky as they've asked me to do some work for them over the summer.
Most of my time has been spent on working on the New Years Day Event, Cuban Club. It's funny, last year I went to the day and I thought to myself, 'they've organised this really well', and now I've just spent a few months putting everything I have into making the day a success.
From organising a crazy photo shoot, to helping with the media releases, to booking accommodation for the international artists, this event just doesn't stop. I have so much respect for the team at Lloyd Events because they actually really LOVE what they do. My boss said to me the other day, 'I want you all to come to work and love working'. It's such a simple concept but it really made me realise that I love working in PR. Not only have I been able to work in PR, but also marketing, advertising and Journalism (which I'm also studying at uni, so that's great experience).
So I'm excited to think that this wasn't just a uni placement job that I had to get over and done with- really it's become more of my top priority (which has made me a little absent at uni but oh well) and I've got the summer to develop more of my skills.
A few things I have learnt are:
I can't be afraid of calling people up anymore if I'm trying to pitch them our campaigns. You just have to act confident even if your aren't.
Also I've learnt for ask as many questions as I can, I use to think people will think I'm an idiot but I know its a must if I want to develop my understanding of PR.
Working in the music and entertainment industry, I've really had to get a grasp of what is going on around me. We've had weekly meetings where we go through and look at all the acts playing around WA and you really have to know what they are talking about.
I may not know everything there is to know about PR, but I've just decided there is nothing to lose and to let myself be creative!
Look out for the STM Cuban Club Photo shoot coming out- yes I'm pretty proud haha!
Good luck with everything guys!
Emmi
1 comment:
Hey Emmi
I had never heard of Lloyd Events until reading your blog, but it sounds like a fun place to work!
Thats great news about them offering you some work over summer as well, congratulations :)
That is so true on the confidence point you made, there were times during my internship where I didnt feel confident at all but it is so important in PR!
I know you are also doing journalism at uni (same as me), do you have a preference out of PR and journalism?
I definitely feel like I am a lot more interested in PR for a career!
Goodluck in your exams :)
Lisette Wheatley
Post a Comment