Sunday, October 2, 2011

PR for a Cause

The name is Ms Tania Fernandez and human rights is the game. Though it may not rhyme but that is the way life is. From humble Malaysia I would have never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever work in the United Nations Assosiation Australia (WA) division. I used to go to collese in Malaysian where the United Nations building was just around the corner, but little did I know that it would take me 3000 miles to work in United Nations.

Money and pay was as common as a voluntary chicken in a slaughter house but the cause that United Nations fought for in my department required no second thoughts from me. Yes I must admit that women rights is an issue that is close to my heart and I am willing to dedicate my time to improving the status of women anywhere no matter the colour, race or ethnicity. I just thank God that I was given an opportunity to do all this as an intern at United Nations Assosiation Australia (WA) division and during this past two months as an intern I have successfully help organise and run a few events.

The day I got the approval to work as an intern with United Nations Assosiation Australia (WA) division I was honoured that a NGO that big considered me to work with them. Though my work was not as glamorous as the ambassadors who oversaw the events but that small role that I played in those events seemed like a great deal and trust me it was! I can honestly say it was my public relations career stepping stone.

My first and immediate task when I joined was to oversee and help organise the Women's Leadership Program. The title itself explains the magnitude of this conference and I was fortunate to be part of the planning for the conference, the graduation ceremony which followed and to wrap up the whole conference was the gala dinner. This was a priceless experience for me and being involved with the seating and placement of guests kept me on my toes the entire duration of the program. I was also involved in the invites and RSVP's that were being sent out and responses that were received. Dealing with many different kinds of people was my biggest fear but I thank my lucky stars everything went on well and the people I worked with were organised and helpful. From this whole planning and being a part of this conference, I knew why all public relations lecturers and tutors stressed on time management. This event gave me a great experience and life lesson on how crucial it is to work smart and meet all deadlines.

During this program not only did I prove my worth but the names and nature of the people I met were simply amazing. Though I felt like a deer in the headlights, I soon warmed up to all guests there as I realised they were also there to give support to a common cause. Among the people I met were Hon. Elizabeth Lloyd Behjat MLC, Member of North Metropolitan, Vivi Germanos-Koutsounadis who is the President of AIRWA (Australian Immigrant and Refugee Women's Alliance), Anastasia Kaldi the manager of AIRWA and more. These people are like the royalty of Women's Rights and I had the opportunity to rub shoulders with them which I will definitely remember for a lifetime. This internship has been an amazing experience for me so far as I have not only experienced the responsibilities of a PR practitioner in the real world but also deepened my knowledge about the subject I am so passionate about which is human rights.

Till I write again. Tania

No comments: