Friday, December 9, 2011

Be Prepared .......

Hi everyone, this is my first post and it has been a month since I started working at my company. First, let me talk about my company. It is a marketing and PR firm, a small but expanding company which consist of 9 people including myself. My job scope is to assist 2 PR executive and my boss. For the first few weeks, I have been doing all the admin side of PR which include filings, updating media list and preparing media kits. However, my company is giving me more responsibilities now.

I was asked to assist in executing a media lunch on Wednesday, 7th December. This is the second media lunch that I have been to. For the first media lunch, I was more on observing how a media lunch is conducted. However, for the recent one that I have been to, I was managing the media registration and even mingling with representatives from the different media. One of the seniors in the company went through the media list with me the day before and asked me why my colleague pitched the media lunch to that media. After understanding, I realised that this really helps me to mingle with the media much easier and better. I realised the importance of preparation before going for an event. Of course, preparation is not only for events. There are a lot more things that need preparation too, like meetings, interviews and more.

For this event, we had a special media kit for the media. Check out the photos below.




After the event ended, I was asked to send the media kit to those media that are not able to attend the media lunch. My colleague asked me to choose the media that I thought, suits the client. My colleague checked my media list after I am done; she complemented me saying that I did a good job in choosing the targeted media. I was so happy and I felt so motivated.

Alright, I shall update more on my work on my next blog.


P.S: my boss said she will let me try to work on some press releases and PR report soon. I feel so excited!


Katie Leong
Curtin Singapore

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie!

Sounds like you are enjoying your intership! Yes, I agree. Getting to know the main purpose of the media lunch and getting prepared for the event is very important. I haven't got much experience in handling and mingling with the media for my internship, your post have really taught me a lot in the media aspect.

All the best in your internship and looking forward to read the rest of your post!

Wan Yi
Curtin Singapore Campus