Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Found my four best friends

Hi everyone, as this is my first post, I would like to start by introducing the PR Agency and my role. The PR Agency that I am attached to is a boutique agency with only six people including me and they are specialised in the fashion industry. My main role is doing media monitoring which includes six different publication newspapers, magazines and online, answering phone calls and assist three executives.
















These are the newspapers which I have read. There are a total of six different publications and I usually spent the whole morning going through them because the agency has a number of clients and my role is to do media monitoring for all the clients. I realised that Chinese newspapers are the easiest to do media monitoring as I would only need to spot all the English words which actually help me save a lot of time.






















These are the magazines which I am supposed to go through and I have about a month to go through them and scan all the coverages for the executives. A lucky note is that the company focuses on fashion which prevents me from getting bored while going through the magazines.

















The picture above consist of my four best friends during work. They are the laptop, telephone, printer and notebook. I does all my work on the laptop and it helped me a lot especially when finding for information. My next best friend is the telephone as I am required to call journalists on behalf of my executives and pick up all the calls. Following on is my notebook. I used it to note down the tasks that I have to do and what I have done so that I do not miss out any task that I am required to do. Last but not least is the printer/scanner. As I am required to do media monitoring, scanning the coverage is the most important part. Therefore, the scanner naturally become my best friend.

Other tasks that I am supposed to do is to assist the executive if she has an event such as preparing press kit, RSVP calls, registration and many more. I shall discuss that further in the next post.

A point to note: Things may get rough at times but do try to learn from it and enjoy the process at the same time. You may even discover something good from it! :)

Shu Rong
Curtin Singapore

6 comments:

Amy Lim said...

Hi Shu Rong,

Newspaper is also one of my best friends during my internship. I could spend around ONE DAY to finish those newspapers at my first day, because I will read everything. However, when I was getting expert, half day is enough for me. Sometime, I don't really like Monday because I've to read a lots of newspaper (include Saturday, Sunday and Monday). Hope you're fine with it. All the best.


Regards,
Amy
Curtin Sarawak

Shu Rong said...

Hi Amy, totally agree with you. Doing media scanning on a Monday is a lot of work. But I kind of get a hang of it and reading the press releases over and over again helps. All the best to you too!

Nick.Chia said...

Hi Shu Rong,

Media Monitoring doesn't seem as easy as it initially seems doesnt it? I've done that task for half a day and it really required lots of concentration and attention to details. What are your thoughts about it?

- Nick
Curtin Singapore

Shu Rong said...

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm really busy for this period. Hmm. I think I got the hang of it and could complete 6 publications within 2 hours? Its really easy once you are familiarized with the client's product and press releases. So try to know your client well. That's all I have. All the best in the rest of your internship!

D Cornish said...

Dear Shu Rong,

It was interesting to read your post dated December 6, 2011 about media monitoring.

In my current position this plays a very important role. Every day I go through relevant newspapers and glean what I can from them; competitor’s advertisements, relevant articles and changing trends in the industries environment.

I find the information that I gather useful as use it for completing a number of public relations tasks. For instance: media releases, website content and social media

The information obtained about relevant articles and the journalists, who wrote them, can be used to pitch media releases. The articles themselves can be used for content on our websites ‘general news’ section to help increase the pages on our website with improves Google ranking. The articles can also then be posted on the company’s social media sites.

After getting tired of photocopying and scanning the paper I also conducted some research on the internet to find that there are companies that will gather all of the information from the newspapers for you! I couldn’t believe my luck.

In my research came across media monitors, though I found out that they were a little out of my budget. Although they had a sister company called slice media which was reasonably priced. They have an online program with which you select your keywords, geographical location and the type of media you would like to view, (i.e. print, tv or radio).

Then as the articles or stories that fit your description are published or played on air Slice Media would file a copy online for you to view, download or send. It was really easy and it helped me to broaden my research reach and also reduce my workload.

Follow this link to see for yourself: http://www.slicemedia.com/

In my search I also came across this website which is pretty neat also: http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

I hope that you find this information useful.
Best of luck with your prac,
D. Cornish

Curtin University
Bentley Campus, Western Australia.

Shu Rong said...

Dear Cornish,

Thank you for your information! It is really sweet of you to provide me with all the links. Will look through! I'm also glad that you found media monitoring useful as I felt that too. It updates me with the necessary information. I felt that it is also a necessary task for all interns. Hope you agree with me too. Also, wishing you All the best in your future career!