Well after one month, this is it. I knew it was coming, I had to say ‘goodbye and see you soon’ to my supervisor Clyde Vacher and my fellow colleagues at Sun Resorts Ltd.
The last few months were hectically busy for me since the end of my internship on December 26. To be honest, this work placement was an eye-opening experience and I undoubtedly know now towards where I want to orient my future career. Yeah you might have guessed – Communication.
One of my PR lecturers once taught me to use the so-called KISS concept in Public Relations - Keep It Short and Simple and that’s what I’ll do for my last post.
Below you find a list of things I have learnt and that you should remember if you feel like working in Public Relations:
- Be adaptable- PR is a skill set that evolves and is adaptable to its environment instead of a narrowly defined career.
- Be Creative – Despite the diversity of Public Relations and the different tasks you will encounter, there is one thing that bonds it all together: creativity.
- Be Ethical & Passionate – Greater things will be achieved if you are loving what you do and undeniably ethics is at the root of every task you perform.
- Be open-minded & alert to the world changing around you; networking is the key – In Public Relations you need to build relationships with people in and outside your field. Your network is only as strong as your personal bonds.
- Social media is important but it is not the “be all end all”, remember that it is just a PR tool- Indeed like all media tool, it is one that is made stronger when coupled with other tools. Throughout my internship I have learnt that it is important to master all means of getting our message out and navigate all of them with competence and diligence while respecting the code of ethics and the organisation you are working for.
Voila! I take this opportunity to wish all my friends the best for their respective internships, make the most of it and good luck for everything.
“Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers,” Daniel J. Boorstin.
Sally-Ann Devion.
No comments:
Post a Comment