Monday, April 9, 2012

it's just not the same without Gravy... Part 4

The countdown was on in the office Thursday morning. Lawless Cooking’s new website design was being unveiled to the team at 11:00am and we could all not wait to see the end product.
Lawless Cooking is a catering and cooking class company headed by celebrity chef, Iain Lawless and is the fourth client of Gravy’s that I would have introduced to you. Lawless Cooking lends us space in their office in Mt Hawthorn which forms part of our contract with them. This means Gravy is not solely at this office for Lawless Cooking duties as I am on-site for The Bra Bar, but we are there day-to-day for all of Gravy’s undertakings. Gravy controls and operates all of Lawless Cooking communications (social media, e-Newsletters, enquiries, bookings of functions and classes, etc.) and any promotional or marketing ventures that are embarked upon.
In Thursday morning’s instance, this entailed Ivana and I sitting in on the meeting with the website designers and Vicki Lawless; Iain Lawless’s wife and business manager of Lawless Cooking. This was a fantastic experience as I could see everyone’s opinion from all different kinds of skilled perspectives. Firstly, there was the website designer pitching his proposal to us and explaining as to why he has made specific decisions on the design. Secondly, there was Vicki Lawless, whose main concern is that the website harmonizes with the Lawless Cooking brand and what she expects the company to be portrayed as. Lastly, there was Ivana and I, the PR and Marketing gurus. We were mainly seeking functionality, efficiency and ease of the website and likewise to Vicki, making sure it corresponds with the brand.
Well, we were all BLOWN AWAY! It was what we imagined, and beyond. The website designer completely understood the brand and identification of the company, whilst using his expertise for the best practices of website operation. He clearly understood and identified with the brief he was given by us to produce such an amazing product. I would LOVE to show and prove to you just how amazing the website is but, unfortunately, that was simply the design. The website is now being created and will be up and running soon (I will keep you all updated so you can check it out!).
The website images where all spinning around in my head for the rest of the day with me agonizing over the question: “WHY CAN’T I DO THAT?!” As professionals in the PR and marketing industry, we are all sure to come across some artwork that is needed to be produced at some point in time; whether it be a newsletter, a poster, a brochure (the list goes on!) and as for me at Gravy; times like these come around quite often as we don’t usually work with budgets that can afford fancy graphic designers. Well, my artwork was certainly put to shame that day. Nonetheless, I went on with my day which did in fact include creating posters for Lawless Cooking cooking classes! I did get a few good ideas off him at leastJ. And although they may not be as high-grade and professional as the website designer’s, they do the job and am reassured by Ivana that they aren’t as shabby I may think! It is also a huge consolation hearing Ivana assure me that I CAN’T DO EVERYTHING and in the real world, different projects are passed through many different people until the final product is completed. This can be through various departments in an organisation or, in Lawless Cooking’s circumstance (a small business); this can be outsourced or sometimes attempted by someone within the organisation which may mean doing so in an ad hoc fashion.
I may or may not have still looked into a graphic design courses when I get home (purely out of interest of course!) It turns out… there is no quick fix for learning such skills. Lesson officially learnt – leave it to the professional graphic designers!!
Until next time…
--Sarah

No comments: