Greetings to one and all, alas, my first blog post! I have since commenced my internship for quite a while now in a fashion and lifestyle-centric public relations (PR) consultancy. Time has been moving at a whirlwind pace; case in point: in a twinkling of an eye – five events had gone by, in addition to the office’s relocation. As I paused to take a breather, it became apparent that it was definitely due time to get my post underway.
This experience has been an exhilarating one thus far. I have to
admit, it is infinitely delightful to work in an organisation that walks in
tandem with my interests: art, music, food and fashion. Since my commencement,
I have been involved in an array of tasks, some of these include the customary
media monitoring, research and writing – to the consolidation of press
clippings, photocopying and scanning. Classically, certain tasks may seem more
piquant than the other, and sure, as us interns, more often than not we are
known as the team’s gopher. Nevertheless, I would like to share with you a
unique piece of advice I received back in the day, which left indelible mark in
my memory.
One of my previous lecturers shared with us, her very own
experience during an internship where she had a simple, yet repetitive and
monotonous task of photocopying amplitude of papers for her superior. Whilst
others viewed the task as one of no relevance, she begs to differ – elucidating
that every minute errand allocated to you can possess a significant value, the
question is how you decide to make of it. Consequently, instead of obliviously
copying the items, she capitalised on both the task and time by also reading
through the contents – thereby broadening her knowledge on information which
many others unless the intended for, are restricted to. Additionally, if you
are tasked to make copies, she quipped that you had better be the best copier
there has ever been.
The intrinsic value from this advice is that there should be no
task that is beneath us. Should a superior assign us something as immense as
executing a press conference, or as little as mending the database – we should
not shun at the very sight of it, but perform it with a mental note asking
ourselves what are the takeaways we can gather? At the end of the day, an
internship provides us a platform for learning, and in turn our responsibility
is to make the lives of those we work for easier, by helping to complete even
the smallest of tasks.
So the next time you are told to update a media list, you might
consider employing the time to also familiarise yourself with the individual’s
name, title, and address – which will prove handy during the later stages of
your career, and that is how you can stay ahead of the game.
I now leave you with some images of what I had been busy with, and I
anticipate sharing more of my experience with all of you in the next post. In
the meantime, here is to a lovely internship!
Cheers,
Jac
15115009
![]() |
| "The launch of an Italian trattoria – OTTO Locanda." |
![]() |
| "Absolutely stoked to have Seafolly as one of our clients." |




2 comments:
Well said Jac! I couldn't have said it better myself. Every task in a work experience environment is never too big or too small; every task comes with a lesson to us in some form. Employees will recognize this and understand the hard yards that can sometimes be our work experience (and they have most likely all been there themselves!) No work experience opportunity should be taken for granted or looked down upon.
One of the toughest experiences in my job to date was when I was in charge of somewhat 40 volunteers, all around the same age and studying similar courses as I was. I received a lot of bad attitude and complaints about the work that was given and the worst part was - I too was volunteering my time and had worked from 8am to about 1am on the event that day! (not to mention the weeks of preparation beforehand.) It certainly did not make my job any easier.
Especially in this industry, we all still have a long way to go and a huge amount of competition to go up against. Graduating and work experience is just the first few steps.. but my god, will it be worth it!!
I have to agree that your advice is invaluable and very insightful. No matter what the job is, even the smallest job such as a contact list is important as it is often referred to for future events and is there to build on.
My supervisor gave me similar advice that if you took just an extra 5 minutes to research the project or read the document to understand the what is was, it can make all the difference.
It's great that you're enjoying your internship and it incorporates all your interests. Good luck with your internship!
Post a Comment