Friday, May 4, 2012

The Art of the Media Release - Tricks and Tips I've Discovered on my Journey

Writing a media release is a refined skill. I know the theory for sure - we all got taught the basics in PR Techniques and Principles back in first and second year. Say it with me if you know the words: important information in first paragraph (who, what, when, why, where), expand information in second and third paragraphs, quote in the fourth paragraph, contact details in the final paragraph. The format is simple enough. And anyone who can write well can produce a decent media release - which is most PR professionals as the entire industry is about effective communication.

But all the theory in the world leaves something to be desired - experience (which is the whole point of this unit I suppose). In my time at Linc I have been able to try my hand at writing several media releases and then sell them in to publications. Thanks to the guidance of my teachers I've picked up quite a few tips and tricks on how to gain coverage..

Spam Filters
Most places have spam filters in place to stop unwanted mail. They pick up on specific words - any subject lines or content that contains them get sent straight to the junk mail folder. This includes words like 'free' and 'prize'. So if your media release is about a FREE competition with a PRIZE to be won - as PR activities sometimes are - you have to be very careful about how you word it, as it might end up in a journalists junk folder!

Blogs
It may seem obvious to some but to me it was something of a surprise. Whenever I thought of online media I would always think of Facebook, Twitter, The West and Perthnow. In fact there are a huge range of other sites that you can sell-in to and the majority of these are blogs - fashion blogs, tourism blogs, mums and bubs blogs - and the list goes one! All of these sites get strong regular flows of traffic making them the perfect tool for promotion. The trick here is targeting your release to the right blog and audience. The links above are to examples of coverage I received I from media releases I wrote!

Slots
Slots are the names for the specific sections in each paper that you can target media releases to. This is a great tactic for securing coverage that I previously had not heard about. If you know what lift outs and sections appear on which days and what themes they feature you can sell your release to a journalist with much more credibility. Instead of just a grab for coverage you can present your release as a relevant addition to the slot they produce. For example, a kid’s event could be aimed at the ED! (education) lift out that appears in The West Australian every Tuesday.

Puns
Though it may sound strange, in a direct departure from what I remember being taught (descriptive, to the point, no fluff titles), my mentors at Linc always attempt to make the title of a media release a fun joke or pun. Journalists and bloggers reportedly love a good pun to spice up their content and apparently it's true!

Although the media landscape is changing there is still room for the good old fashioned media release – you just have to know how to use it!

Beth Caniglia


2 comments:

J.Shea said...

Hi Beth,

Reading this blog was really interesting for a few reasons.

1. Everyone always forgets their basics and you have clearly outlined these, the link to your placement and how you have adapted.

2. I value blogs quite highly but in my placement I have not once thought about it as it is a place that serves the needs of people with disability. Although since reading this I have searched for blogs in this industry and there is definitely a place for them!

3. It was interesting how different opinions change the way you will write the media release.

Thanks for this insightful read!

J Shea

Stephanie Gavlak said...

Hi Beth,

I wholeheartedly agree with you saying that writing a media release is a refined skill.

As a public relations practitioner, the ability to pitch a newsworthy subject to the media is crucia; therefore a sound understanding of the demographics and dynamics of media outlets is vital.

I think you have illustrated that you have a fantastic understanding of how to go about gaining the attention of media!

All the best for the rest of your semester and future career as an effective communicator!

Steph