Something I've yet to touch on in my blog posts is social media, and given this is my final instalment, now seems as good a time as any.
Part of my role in our office is to manage our social media and online presence. This encompasses Facebook, Wikipedia, and to a lesser extent YouTube. Throughout my degree, social media planning has, in general terms, consisted of, at the most, a page or two in the context of larger public relations plans. In reality, a social media plan can in and of itself, be almost as long as an entire public relations plan and, believe me, planning is important.
When I first started in my role we had very little social media or online presence, and almost no monitoring abilities. My first role was to rectify this by developing a social media plan, planning and drafting content, going through approvals, implement the plan, and then assess and adjust as required.
This, I believe, more than any other time, is where I have relied heavily on the skills I learned during my degree.The constant repetition in each unit of producing public relations plans has given me a good skill that can be slightly modified for different circumstances. So... thanks to Curtin for that,
Now...
By now you should have clicked on the link and watched the video that says 'Watch This First'... kinda logical. If not, go do that now!
So... it's dramatic I know, but in all honesty there are two important aspects to that video which I want to touch on. First, 'Let Bartlett be Bartlett': In Public Relations there is a tendency to see everything from an angle: Who are the stake holders, what does the research say, what will be the push back be, what's a good compromise? Sometimes, you need to step back from the bullshit and you just need to do what is right, not what is right now. You might lose a few battles, but you can at least say you did what was right and you did your best doing what was right.
A Bene Placito: I am fortunate enough to serve at the pleasure of one of the most morally sound, ethically uncompromising, and tireless politicians in Australia, a fact for which I am proud. If I can say one thing from my degree it is this: Do what you're proud of, don't compromise, don't spend too much time in the grey areas, you'll get lost, and above all, don't let the bastards grind you down.
Signing off for the last time and bidding you all adieu - Ron.
3 comments:
Hi Ron,
You just made this blog worthwhile - not least because managed to put a West Wing clip into one of your posts!
On a serious note, with regard to your 'youthful lofty idealism' - I think you're right. One of the things I liked about the place I completed my internship (Linc Integrated) was that they had a policy of only choosing clients that represented what they wanted to represent - a worthy sentiment.
PR is often accused of awful things because PR people sometimes DO awful things in the name of the profession. It's simply about being better than that.. Choosing to be better than that. I hope (for both our sakes) that in our future careers, we remember this.
All the best - Beth
Post a Comment