Tuesday, May 8, 2012

DOMINOS


The day has finally come. Although, that wasn’t my feeling at all. You would have thought throughout the placement you would be dying for it to finish, end this misery and let me get paid please! But no, it has not been like this, I have loved every minute of it! The biggest thing throughout my placement that made me happy about coming in was the people – they are so supportive, caring and lovely. I understand a non for profit organisation sometimes has a different sense to it but I think this place has a special spark. Last week the whole of the executive surrounded me at my desk, I hadn’t notice for a few seconds and looked up startled. Lee made a joke that this is what they do every Friday – I knew otherwise. I squeezed by apple shaped stress ball they had given to me and smiled. Lee said I was very helpful and loved having me around. Then to be my surprise they gave me a small gift to say thank you. I felt honoured in a way.

The most important part of my internship has been valuing the little things in a workplace. Putting in 100% in even when it may not be that important. It seems as though everything is – it’s like dominos really, if you stuff up something minor and pass it on and then that person adds to it and passes it on and then the next person adds and passes it on, somewhere at the end of the chain there could be about 50 mistakes for the CEO who is horrified!



Dominos is a really important theme in Public Relations and Event Management I think. You are really relying on that person next to you to call that person in advance so they know what time to arrive to the location advised and to ensure they are aware of the location so the meeting or event runs smoothly *Take a breath*. This will definitely occur in every project. Considering:

  1. Who what when where
  2. Planning and design
  3. Costs/Budget
  4. Timeliness
  5. Research
  6. Execution
  7. Monitoring
  8. Crisis Management
  9. Evaluation
  10. Change Management

I think we all know ALL projects NEVER finish on time. I swear it took twenty years for Forest Chase to be all finished. 

Does any of you have that place near your house that always has ROAD WORKS signs. Its gastly isn’t it?

I think the morale of my placement was don’t be that road works sign sitting on that same street for twenty years. 

Perfect what you do in a timely Manner.

Thank you for all your posts ladies & gentleman

Please take the time visit Workpower's Website.


J.Shea
Jessica Shea
Curtin Bentley 

1 comment:

Jac Lin said...

Coincidentally, Workpower happened to be our client for PR consultancy last semester! It is very exciting to notice that some of our suggestions are implemented on its site.

At the end of the day, the individuals you work with truly play an integral role in making your work experience so much more interesting, and valuable. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed every minute of your placement – it is evident that you have made quite a delightful impact on the team.

Interesting that you brought up the domino effect which occurs at work. It is known that all it takes is a group of likeminded people to make a change. Similarly, it is also noted that all it takes is just single person from that group to hinder its progress.

As Murphy’s law states, anything that can go wrong... will go wrong. Hence, I reckon what we can do on our part is to keep on our toes, and ensure we are always prepared to lend a helping hand to those in need.