Monday, July 9, 2012

What I've learnt about Consultancy work...


My last week at PPR came so quickly and I have enjoyed my experience and getting to know everyone at PPR! After a month’s work at PPR, I have learnt a lot about how a consultancy runs and operates and this was definitely had a great insight into what goes on behind the scenes. Even before I started my professional practice, consultancy work seemed more appealing to me than in-house and after working at PPR, I still think this. The main thing I learnt about consultancy is that it’s not for everyone. These are the main points I discovered about working in a consultancy:
  • The variety of work – I found you have to be very active, and be ready to do anything. It’s not just a desk job, consultancy offers off-site work too.
  • The variety of clients – I enjoyed the variety of jobs for different clients and consultants.
  •  It’s very fast-paced – You need to have extremely good time management, organisational skills and be able to think and act fast. Jobs and deadlines are always changing, so prioritising and having our own organising system is important.
  •  Low/high capacity – Job capacity from day-to-day can be unpredictable. Sometimes there are days where not much is happening.
  •   Working in a team – Success for a client depends on how well you can work with fellow employees.
For anyone who wants to work in consultancy, PPR is a great place to gain experience and start out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an informative one. I love the way you presented it.
Personal training gold coast

Unknown said...

I am doing my placement in a large company which has been great but I find the idea of pitching to all different clients exciting! I am torn between working for a large firm or consultancy. Sounds like you had a great time and learnt alot!