Monday, August 27, 2012

A fly on the wall at staff meetings


Staff weekly meetings may sound boring to some but this is where I have learnt some of the most valuable things about PR practice while interning at the PMH Foundation. Monday morning meetings have given me a broader perspective and greater insight into the organisation’s ethos, team dynamics and values. They have also brought to the surface many issues, ideas and concerns that play a part in bringing the team closer together and more in tune with each other and the vision and mission of the organisation. I have had time to think over a lot of different things that have come up in the meetings and in broad terms (so some information remains confidential) I wanted to outline some of the PR theory I have seen being used in practice.
Communication and Conflict Resolution - Employee Relations
At a staff meeting one person raised the concern that something had caused a shift in the team dynamic. Instead of feeling a sense of teamwork this particular thing had caused a sense of competition to overwhelm the way people went about their work. I thought this was an interesting point raised and as a team they felt they had to step back and assess whether this concern was affecting the organisation as a whole. The matter was fixed fairly easily because the meeting allowed people to voice their opinions and find a solution that suited everyone and bring things back to the values of the organisation. I think this was an example of good employee relations at the PMH Foundation and showed good communication within and across its teams of people. Staff are able to inform each other of important announcements and keep them updated with new developments during weekly meetings and through an email system. Informal things like ANZAC cookie competitions, nachos and pizza days are also lovely lunchtime ideas that build community and a sense of goodwill among co-workers. According to PR theory we have learned, service and quality are built through loyal and motivated employees. I think the relationships and communication developed in a mix of formal and informal ways are a key part to achieving this (I found this online tutorial had some pretty interesting things to say on this and many other aspects of PR if you are interested http://www.edvencomm.net/pr.pdf ).

Public Awareness - Marketing in PR
In my last staff meeting we discussed one of the main issues the Foundation is facing, which I outlined in my first blog post. Basically, there is continual confusion and lack of public awareness of the separate identity of the hospital and the Foundation. In addressing this concern, the marketing and communications team came up with a variety of new strategies to raise public awareness, manage the organisation’s image and provide more ways for target publics to be involved with the Foundation. I learnt a lot just by listening to the input from different team members about this particular issue. Ideas, which will be implemented to address different target publics, included giving out PMH Foundation bravery awards and Stitches stickers to kids in hospital, sponsored tea breaks for staff courtesy of the Foundation and a TV commercial to position the Foundation as the key fundraising body of the hospital (look out for it on TV soon!!). Social networking sites like Facebook will also be key to establishing a separate (and more personal) identity for the Foundation. I will be interested to see how all of these tactics help to build awareness and a strong identity for the Foundation in the future.

These are only a couple of aspects of PR that I have gained valuable insight into at staff meetings. I sometimes have to smile to myself when I think of how much of what is discussed relates directly to the things I have learnt about strategic PR in all of my units! Always good to see how theory is applied in the real world of PR in practical ways.

4 comments:

Prue said...

Hi Caitlin,

Your headline totally grabbed my attention as I was scrolling through the posts because generally, this is EXACTLY how I feel during staff meetings and staff discussions at Guide Dogs WA - but as you said, this is not a bad thing! I guess as interns we are 'outsiders' to most of the knowledge retained within the brains of those staff members who have been in an organisation for many years. Because of this it is really beneficial and interesting to sit and listen during staff meetings to fully grasp to entire context behind everything that is being discussed or planned for the future. I find at Guide Dogs WA, every project is somehow linked to each other, not only because all actions are undertaken with the intent to acheive the Guide Dogs WA and Associations mission, but also because in a not-for-profit organisation such as ours, public relations also encompasses integrated marketing communications and all communications and tactics deliver a consistent message to the community. As I said in my first blog, so few people undertake so many projects within not-for-profit organisations, and therefore they have a gold mine of information on past communications strategies and directions for future strategies. This also makes it so interesting to just listen in staff meetings. I'm glad that it's not only me feeling like a fly on the wall in these situations though!

I'm also finding that alot of what we have learnt in our PR units at university directly relate to real world public relations. I hope that as your placement progresses you start find that this is what you want to do in future, because I know that I am!!

Best of luck with the rest of your placement! I am looking forward to hearing more!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Prue :) yes communication and discussion is key! I learn more and more about it everyday!

Anonymous said...

Hi Caitlin, I absolutely agree with you about staff meetings or client meetings. I have definitely found the meetings that I have sat in on at one40william to be insightful and educational (although at times I am not 100% sure what they are discussing). For example, much of the 'real estate lingo' that the clients or tenants use goes straight over my head...but I find that I am starting to get used to it and learning what it means as time goes by. I'm glad that someone has explored the issue of attending meetings as an intern, definitely a fly on the wall at times but I guess this is how we will learn!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your placement!

Alexandra

Caitlyn Tolj said...

Hi Caitlin,

Completing our internship is all about gaining experience in the ‘real world’ and I definitely agree being involved in staff meetings is extremely valuable although we may be a ‘fly on the wall’ and not have any great input. I feel like I have gained some key learnings through just listening and monitoring the dynamics within a staff meeting and absorbing all the information from the experienced account managers. Sitting in and learning about different clients or the latest news and achievements within the office really helped me gain a greater insight to the professional world and the different aspects of consultancy.

I also found through working along side the account managers and hearing their discussions amongst each other and with clients taught me about the best communication tools including the differences between formal and informal conversation, when to use email or call a client personally overall the best way to approach certain situations, keeping in mind clear communication is key!

Your blog has addressed some really good points and provided me with some further insight about the importance of meetings! Enjoy the rest of your placement!

Caitlyn Tolj
14842733