Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Public Relations VS Designing?



Hello!
I'm really glad that I have the chance to work for this amazing organisation, The Global Good Foundation. The Global Good Foundation consists of a team that are committed to a better future for people impacted by domestic violence. They are all working towards raising funds to set up education centres beyond crisis care for people impacted by domestic violence. 1 in 5 children in Australia have been impacted by domestic violence, and 80% of them will repeat the cycle later in life.


The money raised through any donations and sponsor will directly go towards the kids camp organised by The Global Good. It has been a really successful camp judging from the positive feedbacks from the children as well as the camp counsellor. Through fun, education and empowerment, the Global Good Kids Camps will assist children that have been impacted by domestic violence, and provide ongoing support to assist them in breaking the cycle in the future.


We had our very first kid’s camp in April and it was fully booked although this event was not advertised! Kids are on the waiting list for the next kid’s camp in October! It was really impressive that The Global Good is doing something meaningful for the children! How we build their trust among each other, leadership as well as increasing their self-esteem. Most importantly, it is OK to speak out when something happened!


For these few days, I have been practicing on the usage of different software, especially poster designing. At first, it was quite difficult for me as I was never hands-on when it comes to designing. However, I realised that it is essential for Public Relations student to have this skill for the better of their future career. I have been asking for help from my designing students who masters in Photoshop, as well as browsing online to see if there is any appropriate software that I can download to make a collage.

It was really tough for the first few days and that I felt stressful that I cannot create a meaningful and attractive poster for The Global Good. But the CEO of The Global Good Foundation, Tanya Dupagne, is really supportive, giving me heartfelt mentoring as well as advices. Without her support and kindness, I will not be able to learn so much through out my internship with The Global Good!


As you can see from the picture above; that is the first collage I made for The Global Good. Now I have improved my design skills with Photoshop and Picasa, I have more confidence in producing better collages!


OK! Keep in tune with my blog! I believe there are a lot of different things that I have learnt from my internship and I would really like to share with you guys!

Hope everybody is enjoying their internship as much as I do!



Wylie Chan

1 comment:

Ann Samuel said...

Hey Wylie!

I think you did a great job at your first poster for
The Global Good Foundation! It has eye-ctaching colours and this is perfect for those you are trying to attract - KIDS!

You pointed out good point for all public relations students, that we should learn to use designing softwares. Trial versions of softwares such as InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator can be downloaded from Adobe for free. While most corporate organisations and big non-profits can afford to send a design job to their designers, many small organisations cannot afford to do so.

Learning how to use design softwares should be an essential part of PR. In the PR Techniques unit, we used MS Publisher to create a newsletter. That was the first step in designing, I think. However, as a PR newbie I think that little extra effort in learning those softwares can push us a whole lot further. The organisation I intern with would like a revamp on their website and I'm going to do some designing for them. If not for my design practice unit, I doubt I can come up with anything more than drawing stick figures and rough outlines for any ideas I have!

Good on you for designing that poster! Looking forward to hearing more internship adventures from you :)