Social Media is the new Black
After two and a half months at Scitech I finally am feeling
the groove of the workplace and my spot in the office. There is always
something to do which is either challenging or exciting and this really has
calmed my initial nerves of working in the ‘real world’.
There is one thing about the ‘real world’ which everyone
should have a strong grasp on and that is the crazy world of SOCIAL MEDIA. This
can be anything from facebook, twitter, blogs and hootsuite which I have found
to be a massive eye opening experience in its self. If my sole role in Scitech
was to just monitor, adjust, post and create social media stories and
information I would have my hands full. The fact that these women in the
communications department are able to get any of their other jobs done astounds
me. That being said I have been given the administration ‘master key’ to
Scitech’s entire social media sites and I take this responsibility with both
caution and excitement.
It is amazing how
much there is to know about the world of twitter (which up until recently I
have only used to stalk the Kardashians and Justin Beiber) so with this in mind
I asked my supervisor for a crash course introduction to the social media site.
All these hashtags and handle things that needed to be understood have taken
practice but I have to say I am now nearly a twitter convert! I still don’t
post much on my personal one (I prefer to stay the silent type) but I now can
receive the most up to date news information, fun facts about anything and
follow what is happening around Perth. This homework is necessary in the real
Public Relations world and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is as
computer redundant as me.
Hootsuite however has blown my mind, for anyone who has not
heard of it look up http://hootsuite.com/
and prepare to be amazed. It is basically a dashboard which allows you to
manage and measure your organisations social media. With one login you can view,
update, measure and even draft upcoming posts which are schedules to come out
in the future. It has your facebook and twitter on the same window and so you
can easily view what is being said about you, what you are saying and what you
want to in the future. Highly also recommend this as homework to all!
From uploading pictures of events, giving people a heads up
to upcoming things and just interacting with our stakeholder, social media is
amazing and we should never underestimate the power of it. If you want to see
fun and factual things everyday add us on facebook or follow @ScitechWA (even a
video of the baby chickens hatching!)
Feel free to comment, until next time! J
Brooke
1 comment:
Hi Brooke,
Thanks you for the interesting piece on social media.
I'm a twitter convert also, from having a dormant account for so long I have recently started using it andfound it to be a fantastic medium. I think its so handy for businesses to utilise and promote themselves through micro blogging, the simpler they convey there brand, the more attractive they seem. At my placemennt, Twitter was used from throughtout every event. I find it soo convenient to find out about what's 'happening' and 'in' around the world in less than 140 words.
:)
Post a Comment