Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Sunday, September 16, 2012
Event management....not just glitz and glam!!
welcome to my first blog everyone!!
I have started my internship at The Breakwater, located at Hillary's boat harbour. It is a dynamic venue that has two bars, a fine dining restaurant and also a well renowned private function room. over my time here i will be working mainly with the events co-ordinater to help organise and plan mostly wedding and corporate dinners.
I have been working closely with the events manager Christie Reid and am learning quickly, the pace is fast and being organised is essential. Juggling and planning many events at one time means that you have to have a clear method of keeping on top of things and making sure tasks get done accordingly.
On my first morning i had my internship, Christie already had 10-15 un-answered emails that had to be addressed before moving on to other tasks. The first thing i have noticed is Christie professional approach to answering every emails. even if she cant help the client she thanks them and keeps the professional relationship positive for any future events.
So far i feel like i am learning many practical skills and especially the importance of being professional, i am looking forward to learning more and hopefully attending and running an event in future weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi!
Thanks for sharing your post. It must be great working for the Reid’s at the Breakwater. What a small world it is – we delivered our Pacific Blue furniture to the family last year and I got to know Anne.
Organising an event is something I have done recently in my internship – I agree, it is a lot more work than some would think (even me at first!). It can at times get difficult to keep up with everyone but I find that the best practice is exactly what Christie does – first thing in the morning answer every email!
For me it can get tiring continually keeping up relationships on all levels, however in the end it can definitely pay off, weather it is meeting a friend or forming a business alliance or relationship… Once I had a representative from a magazine who kept calling or emailing at least once a week to try and sign us up for an issue. At the time I wasn’t interested in advertising however continually responded professionally and politely every time – even though they knew we were not going to advertise they offered us a double page display advert at the front of the magazine. We ended up getting a lot more publicity than we thought and now advertise in the magazine regularly. It just goes to show that keeping up relationships and being professional in the end pays off. Throughout our time we have had many similar occurrences.
Good luck with the rest of your placement. I hope to see a post of you running an event at the Breakwater.
Courtney
Post a Comment