Thursday, September 20, 2012

IT’S ALL ABOUT ADAPTABILITY and MANAGEMENT



From sitting at the computer working on communication campaigns to directly liaising with stakeholders, the work of public relations professionals is consistently changing.

The past weeks at the one40william office has been a busy and exciting time as the retail division 140 continues to gain exposure in the CBD and beyond.

ADAPTABILITY
My roles over the past weeks have been constantly changing, and I have seen myself needing to adapt to various tasks and situations quickly and with ease. I have assisted with various elements of 140’s public relations sector, from assisting with a social media strategy to communicating with key stakeholders.

The following are the roles (on average) that I will complete during one day of interning:
  • Media Clippings
  • Communication Campaign Brainstorming
  • Distribution of Communication Packages to Retailers
  • Taking Instagram Photos throughout 140 (140 Instagram Strategy)
  • Phone calls to stakeholders
  • Assisting with 140 campaigns
  • Conducting research

It is through these wide ranges of roles that I have had the ability to widen my experience of dealing with adaptability and how to change from job to job. The fast thinking and role changing work environment that I have been exposed to has increased my skills within the workplace and will certainly assist me in my future career.

Through my placement at the one40william offices I have been able to realise the importance of being adaptable to various situations, roles and workplaces.


STAKEHOLDER MANAGEMENT
Stakeholders, target market and target audiences are the drivers behind any communication campaigns and releases that a public relations professional develops and distributes. However, it is the level of stakeholder management required to ensure that relationships are cemented with those who are influential to the success of a brand or business.



140 Perth prides itself on maintaining high communication relationships with its retailers. Therefore, I was required to ensure that I had high verbal communication skills to interact and liaison with retailers and other 140 key stakeholders.

When liaising with retailers, I was required to distribute communication material from the one40william Building Management team

Recently, I ventured out to all of the retailers to gain feedback and an insight into how the retailers are coping with the newly passed legislation and implementation of Sunday Trading. This form of one-on-one market research gave me the opportunity to really get to know the retail managers, their concerns and gain knowledge on retailer issues.

I feel as though the level of verbal communication that I use and the interaction with stakeholders (such as the retailers) has increased as a result of this role at one40william.

Until next time for more exciting 140 experiences,

Alexandra Wheeler 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alexandra, it's a very nice post of yours which I pretty much experienced it myself during my internship, having such a work load in one day.
In my experience this is when I realize, as a PR person it's impossible not to multitask.
I think the key is knowing our priority.
My day always started by preparing the project lists and timeline.

I feel it's a complicated, yet challenging issue. However, if the passion is there, you can always conquer any obstacles.

Cheers ;)
-Indri-

Anonymous said...

Hi Indri,

I agree, it is definitely about multitasking! That is a key element that I have learnt whilst completing my placement. There is not enough hours in the day to get everything done, and I find following a list of things to do is always easiest!

Hope your placement is going well!

Alexandra :)

Danica Carlino said...

Hi Alexandra,

I feel like you are reading my mind in all your posts! You are definitely right when it comes to adaptability and multi-tasking! Without adaptability and the ability to multi-task you would drown in the world of PR. I have constantly found every day that as the PR and Marketing team we will sit down in the morning, plan a list to work through for the day, and by the end of the day have done nothing we have set out to do! The key in retail PR and Marketing I personally think is the ability to prioritise and like you said adapt!

Retailers are our main stakeholders like you said and we here at Centro Galleria also pride ourselves in strong retailer relationships. This means dropping your list for the day and helping the retailer in all their concerns they have. I have been managing the retailer assistance meetings and explaining to new retailers how the PR and Marketing team can help them and what mediums and programs we have available for them to utilise.

Never a boring day in retail is there! There is always something new and different.

Danica Carlino
15076478