Monday, September 10, 2012

New to Momentum

Welcome to my PR 393 Professional Placement blog!




My name is Elizabeth Thomas and I am in my third year of studies at Curtin University, studying a Bachelor of Humanities majoring in Journalism and Public Relations. This semester I am completing my PR Professional Placement at Momentum Forum Events Australia Ltd. I began my internship on the 6th of August and will be interning twice a week with MFE for the next three months.

Momentum Forum Events Australia is a not-for-profit organisation founded by Barbara McNaught in 2002. Barbara is also the CEO and works primarily with her husband. She will usually have two interns working alongside her gearing up for each event. MFE dedicates itself to helping others by organising galas, balls, luncheons and events to help raise funds for a chosen charities. MFE has four annual signature events:
  • The Pink Ribbon Ball for Breast Cancer research
  • The Melbourne Cup luncheon for children's charities
  • The Men in Black Ball for mens mental health
  • The International Women's Day event for women's charity

The environment is extremely welcoming at MFE as being a small not for profit organisation, there is only herself, her husband and myself interning. Barbara works mainly from her home, in a small office as her jobs usually revolve around the computer! Barbara also works from time to time at her office in the JDL Strategies building in Fitzgerald Street but prefers the comfort of working at her house.

As I started interning in early August, I will be working with Barbara on two main events, the Pink Ribbon Ball on October 6th and the Melbourne Cup for CanTeen luncheon on November 6th. It is a very exciting time to come on board as an intern at MFE as I get to be a part of the lead up for two successful events from start to finish! I will be able to see the events grow, help create momentum and be a part of the event on the day to see all of the hard work pay off. 
I am extremely excited to be working with MFE in the lead up to the Pink Ribbon Ball as it is one of Momentum's most successful event having commenced ten years ago. Over the years the Pink Ribbon Ball has raised $300 000 which has been dedicated to breast cancer research to help with the fight against breast cancer.

My role at MFE will consist of helping Barbara to promote and sell tickets to her forthcoming events. I will be helping to generate publicity by sending out media releases to important media contacts, sending out sponsorship proposals to major organisations to help fund the events, sending out the fortnightly e-newsletter to Momentum's data base of over 8 000 people, changing information and constantly updating the website, social media pages including Facebook and Linkedin, updating the guest lists and organising the seating plans for the events, creating the theming of the event and the live and silent auction lists. 

I am very excited about my internship at MFE and look forward to sharing more of my exciting experiences, challenges and  this semester!

Elizabeth Thomas
14848799

3 comments:

Nicole Lau said...

Hi Elizabeth,

This sounds like an amazing opporunity! Although I'm working for a nightclub I've been having similar experiences with the concert events here.

All I can say is how long ago the first year PR units were in which we were first exposed to the logistics of event co-ordinating.

It has been full on and really intensive but a completely invaluable experience. I can't get over how much I've learnt in such a short amount of time and it has really solidified my belief that events is something I'd like to get into.

I think you'll find that during your work experience for a not-for-profit that people (i.e the media) are willing to help to help indirectly promote their social responsibility. Working for a nightclub it is a lot harder to facilitate such relationships and the best thing to work on is reciprocal agreements.

Hope you have a fantastic time! Keep us updated. Nicole

Nicole Lau said...

https://charityvillage.com/Content.aspx?topic=Eleven_Facebook_Pages_Best_Practices_for_Nonprofits&last=136

Hi Lizzy!

It took me a while to find this again but this is a rough guide to the Facebook for not-for-profits.

I used this when I did a short placement in the UK with an online dating company (yes it was as hilarious as it sounds). I know a lot of it seems like common sense but it provides some really useful tips and examples.

Hope you can find some use for this!

Elizabeth Thomas said...

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for the feedback and for reading my post. The link for the rough guide to Facebook for not-for-profit organisations looks really interesting. Definitely some helpful and very useful tips I will take with me to the organisation.
I especially liked the point about always posting a photo, link or video with a status update as I feel this is much more engaging for the readers.

Look forward to sharing more,

Elizabeth