Monday, September 10, 2012

No two days are the same in consultancy


Hi Everyone,

We’re over half way through the semester now and it’s not long until that big report is due! Time is flying!

Over my third week at Professional Public Relations (PPR) I had undertaken a variety of tasks across the different divisions.

The Perth Fashion Festival clippings started to ramp up with more and more coming through the media portal. I had the opportunity to compile some media clippings for clients within the investor relations division. These clippings are created a little differently from those in consumer. There are no values required for the clippings and the coverage doesn’t come through in an alert from the media portal. I was required to search through newsletters and articles for the client names. At first I found it challenging as all the clients were foreign to me and coverage was scarce. In the end I compiled 5 media clippings for different companies, predominately those in the mining and resource industry.

I’m not sure if any of you have heard of a forward features list before, but this was the first time I had! Obtaining forward features is an extremely difficult task. Ultimately all it is it sourcing a list of the up and coming features that will be published. I contacted all the major print and trade publications that were specifically related to, or had sections related to small business, franchising and the coffee industry. I was met with rude and unwilling editors and journalists who were either reluctant to give the list out to a PR firm or opted to say they didn’t have one. When I did manage to source a list many of the time the features didn’t have much relevance to the criteria. The Senior Consultant I was assisting reassured me the task isn’t an easy one and what I came up with was sufficient.

I also got the chance to conduct a media kit and product drop for the Yarra Valley and Blue Cow Cheese Company. This meant driving around the city and personally handing the parcels to food journalist and editors. It was fun to get out of the office and away from the computer for a little while!

I’m sure you have all seen the advertising for the McDonalds Serious Lamb Burger, or some of you may have even tried it! Unfortunately I haven’t tried it myself but I did get to assist another Senior Consultant in compiling the exclusive coupons for the launch of the burger. The coupons were handed out in the Northbridge and allowed the first 500 customers to try the Serious Lamb Burger for free. The radio station 92.9 spread the awareness of the campaign. The Northbridge McDonalds was the first McDonalds to launch the Serious Lamb Burger in Australia.


Interns at PPR carry out a large proportion of administrative tasks. The organisation employs PR graduates in these entry-level roles before they can progress to become a consultant. During my internship I received great exposure to the various entry-level roles and confidently understand what’s involved!

I aided the administration assistant in sourcing 2012 media kits from Perth based print, online and broadcast publications. The values were then extracted and added into the Rates and Circulation spreadsheet. This ensures the values are up to date and calculations for the future media clippings are accurate. 

Something that is unique to PR consultancy is the “job bag”. Every minute of your day has to be accounted for. Each client has a billing code and your time spent working on tasks for each client is billed to them. Different rates apply for different consultants, clients and tasks. Throughout the week the consultants have personal reminders set and time allocated to fill out their time sheets, to ensure they are up to date and accurate. 

Whenever I’ve thought about where I’d like to end up working after graduation, consulting was never high on my list. I’ve always thought in-house suited me better. Having experienced first hand what consulting is actually like, I can honestly say it is an area of public relations I am considering entering. My day-to-day tasks have been far from repetitive and mundane. No two days have been exactly the same. My main worry with consultancy is that you don’t know the clients as well as you would if you had an in-house position. I’ve learnt that at PPR they invest time and money into nurturing their existing clients to ensure future work prospects are viable. Some clients have been with PPR for years and many are now on retainers. So in a way the consultants get to know and understand their clients just a well as those who work within the company.

Thanks for reading!

Gemma 

No comments: