Monday, October 1, 2012

Engaging with Internal Stakeholders

Throughout my placement at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA (CCIWA), I have been given the opportunity to undertake many tasks ranging from planning events to developing the content of the newly designed CCIWA website. It has been an interesting journey so far and I have learned many skills that I believe I can apply to my future career in public relations.

The majority of my activities undertaken have been related to building and reinforcing relationships with external publics. But what about engaging with the organisation internally?

I was given the responsibility of doing an activity that the External Relations Advisor, Adam Duke, did every morning. It consisted of scanning various news websites for articles that were relevant to commerce and industry in Western Australia (thus the organisation) and sending out a daily digest via e-mail to various members of the office. Within the e-mail was a short description of each article and a respective link. Typical websites that I sourced articles from were PerthNow, WAToday and the Australian.



I began to enjoy this daily ritual and I gained a lot of commerce-specific knowledge from having to read the articles and filter them for relevance. I imagine, if I were to work for CCIWA full-time and if I had to continue to create the daily economics digest I would be very well-versed in business-related current affairs- which is useful considering the seating arrangements in the office next to two economists very keen to discuss how the ASX is fairing every day!

I suppose this 'daily digest' could also be implemented by PR professionals working in various sectors who wish to have more current and in-depth knowledge about the industry they're working in. For instance, if a PR professional were to be working for a sports club, they could compile a daily digest with the latest sports news of the day.

I highly recommend this activity for PR professionals, it should only take 20 minutes a day and as well as being a method of learning invaluable information about your company's specific industry, it also will making conversations in the tea room a lot more high brow and a lot less awkward, as well as being a novel way to keep up internal communication within an organisation.

No comments: