Sunday, October 7, 2012

Finishing up at my placement

My internship at Colosoul is coming to an end but I have decided to stay on in order to gain further experience. Event organising is a huge aspect of what Colosoul does and as it is a not for profit organisation they rely on donations and support from local businesses. We organised a movie fundraiser to raise money in order to move into a bigger office and to continue to provide a magazine to the youth of Perth. There is so much more effort required when you are relying on donations, everything takes twice as long. I underestimated the amount we needed donated and what types of things that we had to source. From the venue, to the equipment, to the lolly bags and popcorn. It gives you a strong appreciation for those working in the not for profit sector and the extra work they have to do to organise an event.

I have learnt many things at my placement which i thought i would share:

*Working in PR you have to be organised, as soon as you get an email make sure you reply ASAP. It makes life a lot easier.

*Make lists and lots of them. Event organising requires making lengthy lists, without them it is highly likely you will forget something.

*Double check emails and documents to ensure that there are no spelling mistakes.

*Be ready to be a problem solver, I spent most of the night at the Fair Tradie Ball solving issues with tickets, seating and raffles.

I really have enjoyed my placement and as it is my last semester of my degree I found it a great learning experience, preparing me for the business world. It allows you to put into practice everything you have learnt over the years whilst studying at university. This blog has also been extremely beneficial as everyone has had such different experiences and learnt different things. Sharing our stories and experiences gives everyone an insight into the different areas of public relations and what every individual enjoyed.


Lauren Trevaskis

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for sharing your posts over the semester! It sounds like you have had a great experience and learnt so much.

A few years ago I initiated a fundraiser with my brother and sister for homeless youths in WA and in doing so organising a comedy show night. I wasn’t really prepared for the amount of work required to go into it, and just like you, have gained a strong appreciation for those in the non-for-profit industry.

Great tips for future PR students and those venturing out into the professional world!

Good luck with the rest of your time at Colosoul,

Courtney