Friday, October 5, 2012

Is this Goodbye?

Hello fellow placement students!
So we’ve finally reached the near end of our semester and placements! I really do hope that everyone has enjoyed themselves and been the sponge in the workplace soaking up all those skills.
Through my last weeks at Relationships Australia (WA) and completing the final report I’ve come to realize the amount of things that I’ve actually learnt. From writing the section about our placement summary in the report I’ve been able to see the things that I’ve been learning collectively each week. From using nifty computer programs such as Adobe InDesign to learning about “competition” in not-for-profit-organisations, everything has been equally important with no values being more significant than another.

In all honesty (and naiveté) I thought that most people would get offered real employment in the work that they were doing from their placements. How silly was I to think that from just one work experience we would all find our calling and love the work that we were doing. If anything this work experience has opened my eyes to see what really interests and doesn’t interest me. I like writing yes but what type of writing would I like to be doing. Article writing? Media releases? Brochures and flyers?

 

I’d have to say my most favourite writing pieces are articles on any events in the organsation. Each week I’ve been given at least one upcoming or recently passed event to post up onto our organisation’s website. Writing articles can sometimes be difficult in the not-for-profit industry because of the sensitivity of certain topics and even the use of certain words and phrases. Through my placement I have been duly noted on different writing styles and what is needed from Relationships Australia. I think one of the most rewarding things in writing is seeing your work actually published and available to the public.

 

 One of the articles I wrote

 

I believe that this unit has all in all been beneficial to me because of the experience that I’ve learnt as well as any negatives that I didn’t enjoy at my placement. All these things have shaped my attitudes on where I would like to work in the future.  

 

Through this experience I hope that I can find a place of employment that I will truly enjoy and find fulfillment in. Do any of you have any decisions about where you would like to work? Do you already have jobs secured?

 

Keep up the reports everyone!

 

Xoxo

 

Angela


2 comments:

Nicole Lau said...

Hi Angela!

It sounds like you had a really useful placement and I'm glad you said the part about being offered jobs at the ends of our placements.

When I was starting out to get my placement I had thought I'd secured one in the Government, but that fell through so I decided to do something I was passionate about and enjoyed. Turns out, in a professional sense it's not as appealing as it is in your head.

I agree with how useful this unit is in establishing what you thought was your career path, I thought I would enjoy the internal communications aspect the most and establishing staff satisfaction. In all reality I really enjoyed the writing part as well.

Have you maybe considered following that into journalism? The course I am doing is Mass Communications (Public Relations and Journalism) and a common thing I noticed among most of our tutors is that a lot of them have gone from Journalism to Public Relations. I think the most interchangeable skill between these two professions is writing.

http://londonprogressivejournal.com/article/view/1246

You should have a look at the above link, it draws some really good comparisons. I think the summary is pretty concise and makes a lot of sense. My favorite part of the article is this section:

"Public Relations practitioners pledge their allegiance to their company, whilst journalists pledge their allegiance to the wider public; both professions attempting to maintain integrity through honesty. Sound like a farce? Both professions must vie for the same audience attention, through either competition or cooperation– namely PR practitioners providing neatly packaged press releases to time-restrained journalists. Both must conform to an ethical code of conductand pledge allegiance no matter what, to telling the truth."

It kinda makes us sound like crime fighters!

Good luck!

Nicole

Angela Chan said...

Thanks Nicole!

I know I've heard that a lot too! Public Relations and Journalism seems like a constant pair! Will definitely consider that for my future! Writing is a definite favourite of mine so maybe in my future I might go down that path. See how it goes!

xx