Saturday, October 6, 2012

My Final Day and Event

« My Fundraising Event»

The fundraising event was called the 'Bingo Levée de Fond" which means Bingo Fundraising, had been scheduled for the 29 August 2012. The whole internship was based on this very event as it was my major event. It was meant to raise money for the "Sida Info Maurice' which is a hotline where people can have information on HIV/AIDS, prevention and contraception. 

The venue was set at the St Esprit college which is at Quatre-Bornes. At the beginning there was only the usual PILS staffs then the volunteers started to come helping to prepare food and setting the table for the bingo night. It was really interesting to see how NGO's work and how important are volunteers to them. They have a good relationship with the volunteers.

At the opening time, which was at 6pm, everything was set and ready, however the whole place was still empty. Then slowly some people showed up and the bingo party had begun. For each game, there were gifts for the winner or winners. The presenter was the founder of PILS, Nicolas Ritter. It was heart-warming to see the the people starting to come in mass and filling the whole gymnasium. Food started to be sold and drinks too, and more people are playing the bingo. 


It was a real experience, as even if i was a trainee in communication, everyone was helping no matter. We had teachers, businessmen, administration officers, fieldworkers and different people. It was a new experience and a way to make contacts with others. 

I could say that the event was a success and that we had achieved the objectives that we have set for this very event, that is raise enough money for the 'Sida Info Maurice'. 

I want to thank the whole staffs of PILS for the warm welcome from the very first day i came there, especially my supervisor. This was a true experience for me as a public relations student. 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ahmad Bundhoo,

It sounds like you've been having a great time on your placement, and it's really great that you get involved that fundraising event which called 'Bingo Levée de Fond'! It seems to be much fun! I would love to participate or help in those fundraising event, I did my 22 days internship in the government department, which is the Department of Environment and Conservation, I only assisted two events but there was no major event which hold like yours. Acturally I think I saw the posters of this fundraising event last week, I thought the logo is catchy and it could be a really siginificative event!

I'm agree with the new way that you will make contacts with other helpers or volunteers from different fields, that's what PR do, isn't it?

Good luck with your studies and your GRADUATION!


Regards,
Jingrou