Events can be exhausting!!!!
I can’t believe that time goes so by fast, I am almost
done with my internship and also my degree at Curtin university! Although most
of my time has been spent in the office and completing tasks that would be done
within the organisation on a daily basis, I got the opportunity to help run a
wedding recently and I jumped at the opportunity.
When I arrived at the venue I felt the anticipation in
the air, staff were busy fixing last minute details and the events manager was
ensuring everything looked perfect before the guests arrived. The venue looked
amazing, there were flowers everywhere and candles that lit the room
beautifully. The Breakwater is an award winning venue that is renowned for
their weddings, the room over looks the harbour and you can see the sun setting
which really sets the mood for the evening.
The event ran smoothly without any major problems, I
really learnt the importance of keeping on top of what was going on through out
the night especially being informed and aware of any problems in order to make
sensible decisions before they escalate. Other important things to remember
when organising and planning an event, especially in my organisation I
completed my internship were:
- Agree the purpose- this will help inform everyone who is involved and give everyone clear objectives.
- Know your audience- be aware of who will be attending the event, any dietary requirements, underage guest and so on. This will help you target and meet your objectives.
- Plan- having a clear and concise plan of the event, everything leading up to the day will be well thought through and organised. On the specific night have a print out of the plan, which should include timings and the event lay out, this is essential to keep the event running smoothly.
- Consider timings- allow for time changes, sometimes certain aspects of the night such as speeches might run overtime. It is important to prepare for these and act accordingly such as informing the kitchen on any delays and change the plan if necessary.
- Co-ordinate- give staff specific roles, ensure everyone is briefed and ensure everyone who is involved is well informed and are given specific responsibilities and tasks. The event manager is the main member who is responsible for the overall event and therefore must remain professional and make any necessary arrangements and actions.
I really enjoyed
participating in the wedding, I got to have a real hands on approach to
organising an event and the type of requirements necessary for the PR
professional who co-ordinates an event.
I think the main key I took
away from this experience was not to expect the event to go perfectly and be
open to changes to the plan, instead of worry about the problem it is better to
act accordingly and work on fixing the issue being presented. Organisation is
such an important element in being prepared as much as possible and hopefully
create an event that is successful and beneficial to the organisation.
3 comments:
Hi Bethany,
Being on location for an event at the end of your internship must have been a great opportunity, especially seeing as you had been working on events up until the day. Its a great and scary experience seeing events pan out after spending so much time on them.
TIme definitely does go fast and before you know it after all the work on a project the event is over in what seems like half an hour!
PR techniques such as event checklists, running sheets and project allocations can really help with the smooth running of an event. Did you find that these assisted you throughout the day? What key roles did you have on the day?
You mentioned being able to act quickly when issues arise. Did you find any problems throughout the event that had to be solved quickly?
All the best in the future!
Erin.
What an amazing experience, its great that you jumped at this opportunity, showing the company how enthusiastic and committed you are.
I am also working in Events and can relate to how fast time goes! Next thing you know guests are arriving soon and you haven't even had lunch!
To keep things running smooth, we used lots of run sheets and ensure EVERYONE involved in the project had a copy. But as you mentioned, you should definitely be prepared for last minute changes, as even a run sheet can change at any moment.
I'm glad it all went so smoothly for you, hopefully you will continue to experience this in the future! There are always factors we cannot control in events, such as the weather, that may impact on how well the event unfolds, but with attention to detail, hard work and creativity, events sure can spectacular.
Keep up the good work!
Erin
Beth,
The event sounds hectic, but so much fun. I know what you mean about planning! It seems like you can never quite plan enough before an event, but the more you prepare prior to the day, the smoother things run.
I have worked on a large scale event with Curtin University, and everyone having a specific role, with tasks to conduct on the day was so important.
It's amazing all the small, practical things that can be over looked in the planning process that can arise on the day of an event. I'm glad everything went well.
All the best with your internship,
Chloe
Post a Comment