Saturday, October 6, 2012

My internship turned into a paid position!


Hi Everyone,

Welcome to my fourth and final blog post about my internship at Professional Public Relations (PPR) in Subiaco.

I have to admit I’ve been a little absent from the blogging scene, but this is my most significant post of them all – I get to share with you all what I’ve learnt over the course of my internship and how I came to be offered an entry level position at PPR.

Throughout my internship I carried out a variety of tasks for a range client accounts. Some of which included:
  • ·      Landcorp - stakeholder engagement, Claremont on the Park event preparation, stakeholder information mail outs
  • ·      Perth Fashion Festival – media monitoring and media launch
  • ·      Wesfarmers Chemical Energy and Fertilisers- Human Resource interviews
  • ·      Decmil Group Limited – annual report meetings
  • ·      Australand – work in progress meeting, desktop research
  • ·      Yarra Valley Caviar – media kit drop
  • ·      Shell – stakeholder validation
  • ·      McDonalds – Serious lamb burger lunch
  • ·      Muzz Buzz – Media list creation and validation
  • ·      PTTEP Australasia – media validations
  • ·      Dampier Port Authority – crisis contingency planning
  • ·      Administration support – credential planning,

As a soon to be Curtin Graduate I believe I have been adequately prepared for the ‘real world’. Throughout our degree we have consistently applied theory to real life situations, whether that be an industry renowned case study or an actual not-for-profit organisation such as United Way WA or Friends of the Environment. PR 393 Professional Practice has allowed me to fine tune my skills and get me one step closer to a paid position.

Although I didn’t get to draft media releases or write a lot of content I was fortunate enough to professionally develop and expand my skill set. The main things I have come away with from my internship include:
  • The art of networking and developing mutual relations;
  • Time is money – effective management is essential;
  • Quality control – double checking, even triple checking your work for errors;
  • The flexibility to work as an individual and a team member; 
  • The ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders.

From an employer’s perspective, hosting interns is a great way to ‘try before you buy’. Employers are able to gauge weather the intern suits the work environment and the intern gets an understanding of what they do and don’t like before being committed to the role. PPR only hires PR graduates into their entry-level positions (admin assistant, receptionist, PA and database assistant) which gives them the chance to learn about the organisation from the ground up. Because of my internship I was granted the opportunity to be consider for a position at PPR. I have now completed two weeks of full time work!! I view my role as a stepping-stone – I’m just a hop, skip and a jump away from becoming a public relations consultant.

I hope each and every one of you have thoroughly enjoyed your internships and feel ready for the real world :) 

See you at GRADUATION.

Gemma x




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Gemma, congratulations on your new position. It doesn't come as too much of a shock considering the previous experience you have, and your driven nature! I have heard that from others that PPR only accepts into entry level/administrative positions so that they can train you, which is understandable.

Your internship sounds hugely exciting and you have had the opportunity to work with such incredible clients. They will look fantastic on your resume, as will your internship and new employment with PPR. I look forward to catching up with you at graduation to hear all about your internship and new position.

Anna Randrup
14756245

Anonymous said...

Gemma, it sounds like you have had a range of your experiences while completing your placement at PPR. I can definitely see how what you have learnt at university would have been applied to the 'real world' of PPR. I agree with applying theory in a practice and real life sense through our assignments and PR plans at Curtin University. I believe it has also contributed to my experiences at one40william. Skills are one of the most important elements that will let us stand out, and I agree with PR 393 placements allowing us the opportunity to improve on these skills individually. Have you found any of your weaknesses that have improved as a result of your placement? 'Try before you buy' - what a great way to look at it! Your placement has 'paid' off not that you have received a paid position with PPR. It is definitely a stepping stone, but a great opportunity as you can start to work your way up the PR ladder. I'm sure you will make some great industry contacts and gain even more PR experience within your role. Congratulations on landing a job out of your placement and good luck for the rest of your full time work!

Alexandra Wheeler (14866393)

Lauren Hannah said...

Wow! Congratulations on your full-time job position! I don't think many of us students can say we ended our internships on THAT much of a high!

Agreeing with your post and Alexandra's comment above, our dedication to learning PR theory has definitely paid off, especially when we see our knewly found knowledge shining through in all of our internship experiences!

It sounds like you have really started to make some great contacts within the PR industry - and already had the chance to work with plenty of clients - well done!

Enjoy your last week of uni.

Kind regards,

Lauren Hannah

Unknown said...

Congratulations Gemma! That is amazing. It sounds like you have wide variety of clients that will keep your job interesting.

I eventually would like to end up working at consultancy as well. The job seems very interesting as there are you get to work with different industries and the idea of pitching to clients is exciting!

Good to see your internship has worked out well for you!

Elizabeth Thomas said...

Hi Gemma,

Loved reading your blog post and congratulations on being offered a position at PPR - that truly is incredible and well deserved!

You seemed to have really enjoyed your position at PPR and you were able to do so much in such a short space of time. It would have been such amazing experience organising a media launch for the Perth Fashion Festival, did you enjoy that? You worked with a range of clients - from fashion to Mcdonalds, Shell to Muzz Buzz. Did you have enjoy the larger corporations or the smaller ones?

I agree with you that the PR 393 unit has allowed us to fine tune our university skills and adopt them to the real world. I was able to get some valuable experience at my internship at Momentum Forum Events that I definitely could not have gotten in a classroom scenario.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to catching up and hearing all about your new job. Congratulations again!

Elizabeth Thomas
14848799