Sunday, March 3, 2013

PR is not for the faint hearted.



Wow my second week has flown by in the blink of an eye and I can’t believe I’m already half way through my internship at PPR!

This week – as expected was also busy, in fact much busier than the last. My calendar on my desktop has quickly become my best friend and my saving grace, reminding me of all the things I need to do and when. This week’s tasks have primarily been public relations orientated which has given me a well-rounded and very real insight into the various duties that PR consultants do in their line of work.

One of these tasks was to write a profile on a mining company for a magazine that PPR produces. As someone who has little knowledge of and no experience in the mining industry, this was definitely a very daunting task. However, with a little of bit of research, professional guidance and a lot of trial and error, I managed to produce a piece of written work that I was proud of and so was the editor at PPR who is going to publish the article in the company’s publication. Needless to say, I was absolutely ecstatic and when offered to write a second piece, I gladly accepted! This task has taught me the importance of versatility in a PR consultancy as it is likely that you will have to write pieces on certain companies, events etc that you have little knowledge about. Research is therefore a very important factor and one that I’m glad is emphasized in all our PR Units at university.

One area that I felt I struggled with this week was working to a deadline. On Wednesday I was given the task of writing a response to a year 12 student regarding the impact of FIFO on rural communities. Again, with little existing knowledge of the industry, I researched previous documents to gain a good perspective of the issue and then set to work. However, because I only had a deadline of two hours to complete the task, I felt like my mind (and more so my ability to write) completely shut down on me under pressure. Although I did eventually get to work, what I produced, I can’t say I was completely happy with.  This ability to work to a deadline is certainly one of the most prominent aspects of the PR industry and one that I’m determined to tackle in the next six months before I graduate.  I’ll be seeking some good advice from the PPR team about what to do when those terrible nerves take over and how to focus when working to such a tight deadline. What are your tips for dealing with deadline stress?

My last major task this week was to produce a media release for a recipient of a grant given by one of PPR’s clients. The idea of writing my very own media release, something I’ve done many times at Uni, really thrilled me but once again I struggled with the pressure of producing something that I expected to be of a high standard.  The media release that I produced was edited and tweaked a little by the consultant that I was doing the work for and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of disappointment that my media release had to be altered a little bit to flow better.  After all the experiences I’ve had writing media releases at Uni, I felt that I would know how to write these better than anything else – but the reality this week was different. Although the consultant assured me that I’d done a great job, I just couldn’t help but a feel that I’d let myself down.

One of the Account Managers reassured me further by saying that most media releases, even his, often get tweaked by more senior PR people and that it’s all part of the creative process.

Has anyone else had these experiences before?

I think I just need to remind myself that I am an intern and I still have a lot to learn instead of always being an over achiever and striving for perfection –  it’s simply not realistic or beneficial to my sense of self and self worth!

Despite the sounds of it, I have still had a great week, which has taught me just as much about myself as it has about PR consultancy.  I know now that PR is not an industry for the faint hearted and in order to succeed, you need to stay strong, focused and flexible to the demands of time, clients etc.

I’m grateful that I have had this insight this week into the areas of myself that I need to work on and I am glad for every experience that I have at PPR because it’s all part of a learning journey that I imagine will only continue throughout the rest of my degree and my career. 

Until next time…!



2 comments:

Alfinda Agyputri said...

Hi Bianca,

Well done for getting your writing published!It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Reading about your struggles, my response was "Oh! I am not the only one!" I've also struggled with meeting deadlines (although I'm sure the deadlines I'm facing at Baptistcare are nothing compared to what you're facing at PPR). I'd usually get a writer's block at the worst time, i.e. when I'm expected to produce a media release in two hours! I've also had the same problem during my course in Journalism. So after many tears, I think I now have some understanding why meeting deadlines is such a battle for me. It's my high expectation of myself.

I find it really hard to get anything written down because I expect every word to be gold. I end up thinking too much about what I'm going to write, what my editor is going to say about it, what my reader is going to think... and it just keeps going. The result of that? Nothing. Nothing on my computer screen. Nothing on paper.

A helpful tip a fellow writer gave to me was "Just write". Write it down. Don't worry about editing yet. It's only the first draft. It doesn't have to be perfect. A writer's worst enemy is not writer's block - it's self-editing.

Now it links to your other struggle (and mine): being humble enough to be edited by someone else. I know that unpleasant feeling when you think you've produced a masterpiece and someone else comes back to you with red ink scribbled all over it. It hurts, I know. It really does. But it's a worthwhile pain. And yes, as you said, it's all part of the creative process. It's nothing personal. I think sometimes we forget that PR is a team game.

So there you go, you're not the only one with these struggles. Don't be too harsh on yourself. I'm sure you're doing great! Hope my two cents are helpful.

Cheers,
Alfinda

Alfinda Agyputri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.