Wednesday, March 13, 2013

That Daunting Feeling Called...

Have you ever had the feeling of wondering where the last few years have gone? On January 17 of this year, I was faced with the exciting yet unpredictable experience of entering a Marketing Communications firm as a Public Relations Intern. I remember waking up on that morning and thinking, "How can I possibly apply my studies to the workplace? I don't know anything about PR!" I felt as though all my hard work at university was finally being applied. But what work was I applying? It seemed as though time had slipped away and everything I had learnt was simply theory...

This daunting feeling is known as 'taking your first steps into the real world.'

Over the past 8 weeks, I have been working once a week at The Hub Marketing Communications as an Intern to the Marketing Communications manager. Not only have I had the pleasure of working with several creative and intelligent women, but I have also been given the opportunity to become involved in numerous different projects. 

My first few days at The Hub involved a dabble in market research. I was given the responsibility of contacting selected individuals in regards to some stakeholder research that we were conducting on behalf of an organisation. Initially I felt as though I had dived straight into the deep end! However, after the first few calls, I was feeling confident and excited; I couldn't wait to get to the real juicy stuff!

My most recent time at The Hub has been spent proofing and organising The Hub's social media e-books. Most recently, I have been concentrating on the Twitter e-book. I have spent much of my time researching into the statistics used and making sure they're up-to-date, as well as searching for any new and interesting facts and figures. This task has been extremely beneficial to me as I have learnt a lot about Twitter and it's benefits to all organisations, not just the ones operating in the PR and Marketing industry. I've also thoroughly enjoyed taking on some responsibility and using my initiative on several occasions. 

Despite all the fantastic experience I have gained thus far, there's no denying it has been challenging. Since starting at The Hub, I've learnt a lot about myself and my work ethic. Particularly, I've found it difficult using my initiative in such a professional environment. I often feel as though I want to do exactly what is expected to avoid making mistakes and letting my work colleagues down. Although I have thrived off the responsibility I've been dealt, I've also struggled with the pressure thats come with it. However, to overcome this I use my common sense and often clarify any task instructions put in front of me to ensure I completely understand what is expected of me. I don't hesitate to ask questions ( which, thankfully, my colleagues are more than willing to answer) and I take my time in completing my work. It's these methods of stress and time management that have made the experience so far thoroughly enjoyable. 

My time at The Hub Marketing Communications has been very rewarding, exciting and fast-paced. I've learnt so much in past few weeks, and gained invaluable experience. I've developed several invaluable skills and taught myself how to work best in new environments. 

With many more weeks ahead of me, I'm very much looking forward to the second-most half of my internship and what it has to offer me.

1 comment:

Carla Lo Presti said...

Hi Aimee,

Well done on beginning your placement. Your blog caught my eye as I felt the same on my first day of interning. I began to question as to whether or not everything that I have learned at University would be essential in helping me perform at my best in my placement.

I did however wonder, at the start of my placement feel that everything I had learned at university was thrown out the window because each my organisation was so different. Some complete there processes differently and some simply have a lack of knowledge of how to use such tools like social Media.

I think that the fact you are learning that it is ok to ask questions already shows how much you care and want to learn. That is an essential outcome I guess that this unit makes us learn about. It also shows how professional you are and that you are willing to further your knowledge.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your other posts!

Carla Lo Presti

14283730

Bentley Campus