Saturday, March 9, 2013

The 1st day


In my last semester at university this semester, as a final year student, a couple weeks ago I began my journey of taking part in work experience at Communicare. Communicare is a non for profit organisation, helping the community, in different ways the organisation can.

 Walking into Communicare, for the first day of my internship, was a little daunting. Having only ever done work experiences at small organisations, i began thinking to myself, what happens if my PR skills are not up to scratch and not that great.

Walking in to the Marketing and Media office, I was met by Aimee and Cassandra my two supervisors, and they were lovely, I immediately felt as ease and comfortable i. I was shown to my desk and here is when the work began, setting up email, meeting other individuals who work at Communicare , that I would be interacting with.

The first day at Communicare, it was almost like learning PR from the basics. I was explained to about media releases, the news letter as well as the different events Communicare were involved in. I was made familiar to "Indesign" a program that the organisations uses to get their posters, newsletter etc done. I did online courses and at the end of it I was still confused on how to use it,having never used it before.

During the day, I also had to go and update the address book that Communicare had, correcting phone numbers, addresses and email addresses, since it has not been done since the 2011, making it very outdated. I did this through checking the different companies websites as well as ringing them up and making sure their details were right. This was my first Pr task and I was slightly excited to be doing something Public Relations related

Reaching the end of the day, my supervisor Aimee, informed me that she was leaving Communicare in two weeks, this was quite sad, seeing as she has been wonderful to me on my first day and supportive and along with that, during my interview she was just as lovely to have me on board.

My frist week at Communicare had been interesting and I was enjoying it and I was glad that the choice I had made to study Public Relations was  the right one.

At the end of the day, I was already looking forward to my shift at Communicare :)




No comments: