I have been doing my internship for Swan Districts FootballClub and what a crazy few weeks it has been!
Due to some interesting fixtures, SDFC have had three homegames in a row at Steel Blue Oval, which has equalled event management galore. This has made mevery aware of the day to day workings of a footy club before their big gameseach week and has given me huge amounts of experience in events and each jobthat needs to be completed to make sure the day runs without a hitch.
Each game day has required a lot of preparation because SwanDistricts hold luncheons in the members lounge for sponsors and members everyhome game. This includes coordinating with the marketing manager and functionmanager to organise caterers, bar staff, speakers, speeches, run sheets andattendees
As there were so many home games in a row, the events had tobe fun and interesting each time so I managed to grab a photo with cricketerDennis Lillee and met the infamous Brendan Fevola, who spoke at an event withfriend and ex-Carlton player Anthony Koutoufides (which was very, very enlightening, to say the least!)
I have always been interested in gaining more experience inevents as it seems like a great job to do, and so rewarding when the functionis over and you can say you did it! Helping with the events at Swan Districtshas been very eye opening though, as everything that is done is generally doneby the managers at the club. This is because the club has a smaller amount offunds and resources in comparison to what a lot of AFL teams would have. Therewere some times I would be folding brochures, sealing letters and printingnametags – happily I might add – with the marketing manager wondering when shehad time to do her job!
On game day though, these small tidbits definitely added togreat day and I learnt that it doesn’t matter who does the mundane jobs, aslong as they get done.
Until my next post!
Lucy
1 comment:
Hello Lucy,
Your post was very interesting. It reminded me that PR is not just about paper work but is also fun by allowing you to even interact with people and make memories.
The little things that we at times think don't matter much, do contribute to the bigger idea. Therefore, they can never be taken for granted because sometimes those little things are the ones that count the most.
This reminds me of the time I was cleaning our PR store room, my supervisor had a client in the office, as they passed to start the meeting, the client saw me sweating in the hot room, with messy hair and dusty clothes. By the time he came out, I had taken our corporate gifts, small as they seemed, into the corporate gift bag and handed the bag to the client. He was grateful to have received such though it was a bunch opens, foam cap, key holders, woman scarf, and can opener.
With that said,I would say,you had fun in those events, and you event planning input helped the event come out to what it was.
Post a Comment