Monday, April 8, 2013

First day as a Networker


Before I begin my story about my first day at my brand new internship, I must first tell you a story. After emailing (and getting rejected or no replies) by at least ten different event management companies, I decided to email two final companies before moving on to look at different areas of PR.

By now, I’m 3 weeks away before the commencement of Semester 1, 2013 and I am desperately trying to land a placement so that I can get one step closer to graduation. Now, let me just mention that I emailed a specific lady for Company A (I managed to get her direct email) whereas the second company (Company B) only provided a general email account (no name was provided).

Within 2 hours of sending the emails, I got a reply requesting for an interview. I was ecstatic! At this point in time, I was completely unaware that I was emailing two ladies who had the same name!

So it’s Monday afternoon, I arrive ten minutes before my appointed time and I walk through Company A’s doors requesting to see this lady. I was shocked when she said that she was unaware about our meeting and requested to see the emails that we had apparently been exchanging. I guess I was too excited about actually landing an interview that I completely forgot to even see which company was emailing me.

It’s a hot summer day, by now I’m a few minutes late to meet the lady at Company B and to make matters worse, I get lost.

After 5-10 minutes of running up and down the same street, staring at every single building number, I arrive at the doors of Company B. The moment I stepped inside, I knew that it was the perfect environment for me.

Rebecca (the Founder of Via Appia NetworkingWA) interviewed me and after a few questions, I was given the opportunity to intern for them and was given a tour of their cozy office.

On the first day, all interns are required to write a blog post about who they are and why they wanted to be an intern at NetworkingWA. After submitting my blog post, Adriana (Event & Marketing Manager) introduced me to Highrise and DropBox, websites that they frequently use so that all documents could be easily accessible.

My first task that was I was assigned to, was a really fun one! In the upcoming weeks, NetworkingWA is hosting a conference in Bali and the event programme included an “Amazing Race” challenge for all the attendees. Rebecca and Adriana wanted me to create all the activities for them and research about what a nearby orphanage desperately required as the prizes that the winners receives, would ultimately be donated to their children.

Planning the Amazing Race challenge definitely took longer than expected so I did not manage to complete until the end of my second day but it was definitely something new that I had never gotten the opportunity to do before so I was glad that I was given this task on my first day.

What I learnt in PR Techniques definitely helped me complete this task, as I was able to refresh what I had learnt from 2 years ago and actually apply it at work. It’s the first time that I have been giving the opportunity to do this and I cannot wait to experience more of this.


Laura Ng
14865060

No comments: