Friday, April 5, 2013

First Day Jitters



First Day Jitters

 


On my first day at Musebureau I was filled with excitement and anxiousness. It didn't take long before I felt right at home with the team at the boutique PR agency in the city. The most important thing I learned on my first day was the importance of confidentiality, especially when it is directly related to clients and business information.

Myself and the two other Museburette's (Ela and Rachael) were given the grand tour of the offices and our desk space where we would be working. A formal contract was signed and read through with the direction from our bosses Lauren and Grant (PR Director and Managing Director). 

We then went through all of the databases in the system and formed a sound understanding of what they all did. I found this extremely helpful as I do not have much experience with database entry or the use of them in the workplace. 

Media clippings are essential in this workplace so we learned how to cut them out and present them neatly for the client, I then looked through the newspapers used and formed an understanding of what they are looking for when making the clippings.

Lauren then asked me to write a client profile and Q & A sheet. I wrote this up and submitted the draft version to her via email, she then printed it out, edited it and gave it to me to make revisions. I found this extremely helpful as I wasn't entirely sure what I should be looking for and I made changes and sent it back to her. I then had the opportunity to write a media release for a client which I sent through to Lauren to make corrections. I found it both daunting and exciting to finally put my theory into practice in a real-life PR Agency!

My first day couldn't have gone better and I was so happy with the opportunities I have already been given. I cannot wait to continue this experience and jump into the field of PR. 

Please feel free to have a look at their webpage:

http://www.musebureau.com/ 

Georgia. 




3 comments:

Blade said...

Hi Georgia,

It's refreshing to read a recent blog from a fellow student who has just started on their placement - I too am recently under-way with my internship, so like you there have certainly been some daunting elements!

Also good to see that despite this, you're already jumping straight into it with some very traditional PR work - I hope the practice we have gained at Uni has provided a solid framework for you to work from.

Enjoy the rest of your placement, I hope to read more about Musebureau soon!

Amy Taylor said...

Hi Georgia,

Musebureau sounds like a really awesome place to complete an internship at!

It’s good to hear that they had you writing media releases immediately , it’s a good sign and generally can mean that they trust what you and the others are capable of and will be giving you many jobs that actually make a difference in the organisation.

One thing I noticed in my internship is that the more often you write media releases and blog entries for clients websites etc the easier it becomes, suddenly you become faster and faster at pumping out these good quality, informative pieces and also you become quicker at creative thinking.

I’m sure you’ll notice that very soon :)
I look forward to hearing more!
Amy Taylor
14268342

Lobo said...

Hi Georgia,

Your placement at Museburuea sounds really exciting.

I think that it's a credit to you that they are giving you the opportunity to create media releases, along with client profiles.

The main thing that I have picked up from my placement is that jumping straight into the deep end is the best way to get experience and learn on your feet.

Enjoy your placement, hope to read more soon.

JL