Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My First Client




My First Client

My first client experience was somewhat daunting but very satisfying at the same time. I mentally prepared myself for what was my first attempt dealing one-on-one with an actual client. As I was placed in charge of the publicity campaign for this client, it was imperative that I addressed all objectives for the publicity campaign and asked relevant questions that would aid in my research.

I sat down at the local coffee shop with Public Relations Director Lauren to meet with our client. As we waited, I had a million thoughts floating through my head about whether I was prepared, had I thought through what I should say? Have I actually learned anything from my degree that I could put into practice? Will the client appreciate my ideas? As I contemplated all of this the meeting began.

Our client was amazing and the meeting was a breeze. Aside from learning valuable communication skills between client-consultancy relationship I also learned the importance of client confidentiality and the risks that are involved with this in the workplace that can be detrimental to your career. Finally, it dawned on me that confidentiality in the workplace holds great importance, something that I had never thought about in detail before this meeting. 

Communicating directly with clients through email and phone is also something I have had to adapt and learn to do confidently on my own. I soon realised how imperative it is to always keep the client happy and updated but to always maintain a strong and positive relationship with journalists and to have a sound understanding of the media world and its inner workings.

I am now well aware that the media relations industry is much more diverse than I initially thought and is quickly moving into a more complex and ambiguous world for public relations practitioners. 

Please see On Deadline Fourth Edition by Carole M.Howard and Wilma K.Mathews for more information. 

By Georgia. 

No comments: