As I continued to progress through my public relations degree, at Curtin University, I had pieced together a mental picture of the professional lifestyle that awaited me as a PR graduate . I was not to excited. I had envisioned a job that was full of media releases, pr plans and more media releases. As an individual that thrived on energy, creativity and unpredictability , the thought of a simply structure, 9-5, office job scared me.
I had come to the conclusion that if the abnormally high levels of caffeine wouldn't force me out of university through sickness than repetition that came through the public relations coursework syllables most probably would.
I was half way through my second last semester of university ( October 2012) when I decided that I wanted to get involved in volunteering. I contacted multiple non-for-profit organizations and was knocked back by majority. One of the last organizations that I contacted was St Patrick's Community Support Centre. This non-for profit was an organization that offered services and housing for the homeless community of Fremantle and the surrounding southern suburbs.
I spoke to the manager of the Public Realtions team Lisa Garside and told her that I was university student looking to volunteer at the centre. After a set of meetings I was brought on as a volunteer public relations officer.
Ever since my first day in that office my negative view towards the public relations profession has changed.
Our team at the organization is responsible for pr, marketing, advertising, event management, aspects of finance and hr, along with logistics and brand development. The energy and vibes that are created in the office promote and foster creative and out-of-the-box thinking, whilst also adopting traditional PR approaches.
Since October I have been promoted from a volunteer to a part-time team member and as a team of four we have accomplished many things including:
- Designing, setting up and managing a vintage clothing store, St Pat's Rack ( Check on Facebook)
- Promoting and building the brand of the "Starlight Hotel Choir"
- Hosting Federal Minsters and other V.I.P's at our organizational HQ's
- Providing marketing and PR support for the entire organiastion
Although I found the PR elements of my double major at times laborious and utterly boring I can now appreciate the importance that they play in your development as a PR professional. Not only did these PR units teach me and ingrain in my mind essential PR skills, but they also taught me the essential skills of professional communication.
This is all for now.
Till next time.
Jamie Lobo
1 comment:
Hi there Jamie!
When I started reading this blog entry I had no idea it was you and then as I read on had an inkling, 'hang on, this guy sounds familiar!'
Wow! I never knew your initial thoughts on PR were so negative, but the points you have outlaid here, justify why you did once have such a negative view.
Having been closely associated with you whilst you were starting out at St. Pats it's incredible how much the organisation has grown, as well as the key initiatives and projects set out by you and your team! It's also pretty amazing how the organisation has swayed your opinion of public relations in the complete opposite direction!
In my PR placement we do a lot of volunteer media relations for not-for-profit organisations such as The Dogs' Refuge Home in Shenton Park and a few aged care facilities across Perth, so I can appreciate the level of satisfaction being involved in 'do-good' PR can bring!
Look forward to hearing more about your progress in your job/ PR placement and at risk of being completely inappropriate on a blog post, I'm going to say that we are definitely overdue for a catch up!
Good luck Jamie!!!
Alex Mowatt.
Post a Comment