It is safe to say my internship at Shine
Communications is going swimmingly, with nothing in-particularly interesting to
report. This is great news, but it’s also not-so-great when you have a blog to
write so you can discuss issues or significant events during your internship.
So I decided to write about an issue I came across in my internship that
involves PR, but also goes above and beyond. This issue is the underestimation
of attractive women in a position of power.
I recently had the pleasure of accompanying
my supervisor to a meeting with the client Archae-aus. After the meeting, Archae-aus
wanted our advice on a new business adventure they might be stepping into -
buying advertising space on the Business
News website. So, we met with the lovely Jessica Taylor, corporate account
manager at WA Business News and I sat
back to absorb what she was about to pitch. Ten minutes into her spiel, there
wasn’t much absorbing going on. Her sparkling yet fierce green eyes, her
perfectly flawless skin (but seriously how did she get her skin so spotless!)
and her two deeply even dimples were all too distracting. The innovative,
factual, and professional pitch she was trying to get across just went up and
over my head because I was too busy in awe over how stunning she was. And lets
not get started on her fashion-forward attire and cute-as shoes!
So when she left, it was time to discuss
what she had just proposed. Digging deep, I puffed up my chest and began to
come up with something constructive - that was until my supervisor blurted out, “I
couldn’t get over how nice her skin was!” And before I knew it I was responding
with, “Oh my god her eyes were so beautiful and green!” We both had a giggle
and confessed that we were both too much in awe over her beauty to really take
in what she was saying, or even take her seriously. After our guilty discussion
about her beauty and how it was a shame because what she was saying sounded
quite professional and succinct, it got me thinking – this must happen to her
all the time.
Smart, good-looking women in a place of
power, who have to attend meetings and make face-to-face decisions, must deal
with this problem all the time. It doesn’t matter how many hours they put into
a client brief, or how many big, exuberant words they use to pitch it, people
(sadly) must take one look at them and either not take them seriously, or not
focus on what they are saying at all – oops! Probably the second meeting would
have gone a little better, we could have prepared ourselves to listen with our
ears not our eyes, but this shouldn’t be the case.
It is a shame, but what can anybody do
about this problem? We’re not being sexist and we’re not undermining her
because we all know her capabilities. Is it just human nature to admire someone
who is aesthetically pleasing?
Think about it, what are your first thoughts when you start talking to an attractive
woman or male? Straight away, did you take them
seriously?
3 comments:
Lisa,
What an interesting insight into a sensitive, yet real issue that women still face. Like you said, it's a shame that people take notice with their eyes, more than their ears. Women should not be penalised for taking pride in their appearance and they should certainly not be discouraged from apply for higher positions simply because they are female for an attractive one at that. It makes you wonder what reactions would be like if this person was unattractive? Or even still, what would be reaction be like if the shoe was on the other foot with males? I think we've opened up the proverbial can of worms with this issue, but please don't for a second think this has fallen on deaf ears. Hopefully our generation will be the one to CHANGE this!
Nat
Hi Nat,
Glad to see that you take this issue as seriously as I do. This view is sometimes seen as sexist or an overreaction, but to me it's real. People do, unfortunately, judge by appearance and there's so far no cure to this! People these days have to be very careful about how they present themselves because too much or too little could mean job or no job.
Thanks for your insight into this issue and I agree, hopefully generation Y can do something about this!
Lisa
Great post Lisa - although humourous you have raised an interesting issue which calls for some serious discussion. Everything you have said is very true in that respect and the questions you have posed have made me wonder.
It is a shame that statistics favour 'attractive' people in positions of power and I look forward to keep track of articles like this in the future.
Thanks !
Post a Comment