At Sunsets there is no distinguished PR team, rather it seems to intertwine with the marketing and events management. This is interesting to experience as I am able to experience a bit of PR, marketing and events management all in one! As Sunsets is such a small team environment with only a handful of full time employees, I have also been lucky enough to work with a range of people in both junior and senior roles and learn from them immensely.
Some of the tasks that I have been given over the past couple of weeks have dealt with issue management, stakeholder relations and media relations. I was delegated the task that I think every PR intern is asked of media monitoring. Although a tedious task it is also probably one of the most critical. It involves monitoring press; online and print publications of sunset related media, which are collected, dated, scanned and stored for future references. Also, looking at Sunsets social media and blog postings or more formally known as 'buzz monitoring' to see what people are talking about sunsets and how they are using Sunsets social media. Overall, Sunsets uses media monitoring to stay on track of what media they are being promoted through, what is being said about them, what is trending, their competitors and staying on top of media news.
Another task that I embarked on was a research and write out responses for the Fremantle Business Awards 2013, which Sunset Events were entering themselves into. This was an important task and my grammar and spelling had to be impeccable. I learnt a lot more about the company while writing the report out and was surprised that my supervisor, Madi was extremely impressed with the written work and left it as it was before sending it off. Job well done for myself I say and a small confidence booster in writing business documents for the future.
After reading several blog posts from other students placement positions, I have come to realise even though, I have been given a great opportunity at Sunsets I don't believe I am experiencing everything that I want to. One task I would of loved to have been able to do is write media releases, so that I could get feedback on what I need to improve on as I feel media releases are a major part of public relations that really needs to be practised continuously. However my time at Sunsets so far, has made me realise that events management and especially in such a small team is not where I want to be in a future career. I think that rather, I would be more suited to somewhere more corporate, in a larger team, dealing with clients that I can interact with!
Until next time..
Ella
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Sunday, May 19, 2013
A lil' bit of this and a lil' bit of that and realisations!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment