Hey everyone, my names Kiranjeet and I'm in my final semester of degree. Just to keep you in the loop.. I started my
internship at the Shire of Kalamunda back in March and so far it has been
awesome! I started my blog but didn’t actually post it - had a few technical difficulties but here it finally is!
When I was told that I got the internship, I was super excited
to get some real life experience yet I was scared at the same time.
What if my work wasn’t good enough? What if they don’t like me? What if I’m
too slow and they kick me out? What if the lady turns around and says my work
is rubbish? All these questions kept running through my head making me feel
nervous for my first day.
Anyway a week later, I rock up to the office and ask for the
HR Manager Davina, who also happens to be a friend of a friend – sounds typical,
I know. A couple minutes go by.. and I’m still waiting awkwardly at the front
counter with the ladies looking at me confused because they don’t know who I
am.
Lucky for me, Davina finally came to my rescue. We headed
down to her office where I met the public relations coordinator Nicole O’Niell.
After our introduction, I was given a tour of the office. Everyone that I had
been introduced to was really friendly and kind which didn’t make me feel
awkward – so that’s a plus.
I had my swipe card organised, email account set up and log
ins all verified – I started to really feel like a proper employee at the
shire.
My manager told me “this isn’t going be like a stereotypical
internship where I make you do mail outs day in day out and boring stuff like updating
mailing lists… We like to keep everyone busy at the shire so there will be a
lot of work to do so you and hopefully won’t get bored.”
After hearing my manager say that, my heart started racing
and I was excited - finally I get to do some proper work! So my manager and my
system worked like this… She sends me a brief description or even just the flyer
of an event, I write a draft media release, email it back to her for editing,
she sends me back the final copy giving me feedback along with it and bang - job
complete.
After sending her my first media release, I was scared to
hear her feedback until I opened my email and read her response “great work!
Really well written Kiran”. I will admit I was a bit stunned so just to clarify
I turned around and asked her “are you sure its okay?” and she laughed and
replied “yes its great, just a few tweaks but otherwise it looks good, don’t
stress!”. After that, the next few media releases kept rolling out and
before I knew it, it was 3pm - time to go home!
Overall, I found my first day to be initially nerve racking
and overwhelming but once I got into the office, met everyone and began to work…
things felt great!
Lesson learnt from day one: don’t sweat the small stuff.
Meeting new people, entering new surroundings and building connections is half
of what public relations is all about.. Get used to it!
- K
2 comments:
Hi Kiranjeet, Kat here how you doing? Sounds a really good internship placement you have. It must be different to be working for a local government organization than a private industry.
Arriving and working for the first task can be daunting, I know what you mean. Its safe to say that all of us interns probably have felt the same way. It is challenging at first but when the work is done it is unbelievable that it is of your own work.
Good job on your first media release, I have done a few myself too it feels good to see the result of it. Proof reading is very important don't you think?
Of course as newbies, I am not as confident but at my placement I learnt that we should be able to work independently and just remember what our units in our PR course have taught us. The main key points, research, proof reading and the news angle used for media releases.
I try my best to apply what I have learnt yet there is always something new to learn from my placement for example what seems to be news worthy, grammatical mistakes and able to accept criticisms when there is. It is a learning process for me and you as fresh interns but its a stepping stone to learn more for our future career.
Hi Kiranjeet!
Great first post! I must say congratulations on landing a internship at a shire! It would be such good experience to be able to work for a industry in relations to the Australian government.
Whilst reading your post, I couldn't stop nodding at the questions you asked yourself. Especially questioning yourself if your work would be good enough. Had a bit of a laugh while reading that section I must admit.
Your first day does sound similar to my first day I must admit. As I to questioned my supervisor if my media release truly was "well written" haha.
After the first day, I understand the trial and error process and to always believe in myself. Which I advise you to keep in mind. You have gotten this far so keep believing yourself!
But I couldn't agree more, we do need to "sweat less on the small stuff" which I defintely will keep in mind with any tasks given to me at my PR work experiences.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your posts
Cassandra Lu
Post a Comment