Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Taking responsibility


I’m nearly at the end of my internship with Shine Communications, which I have been working under the lovely Ruth Simpson. When I first started my internship I was very excited to get involved but was also quite nervous when it came to contacting people for an interview, I suppose I didn’t have the confidence yet. When I was given the task to phone someone up, my heart would skip a beat and without prompting, my subconscious brain would come up with a thousand different excuses that my conscious brain would will away and tell me to grow up – it wasn’t a good feeling.

I suppose I was just overthinking things too much, and was too focused on what I had to say and what I had to get out of the interview rather than just being myself and having a normal chat. But luckily for me, this feeling slowly faded away when I realised one crucial thing: the term ‘intern’ is known by most people as someone who is still learning. So, I found that although I was given a lot of responsibility as an intern, the average person knows how much responsibility an ‘intern’ should have, so if I made mistakes, I was forgiven more easily – to say so lightly. If I mumbled my sentence and had to start again, the person on the other line didn’t seam to mind, if I spelt their name wrong or got a date confused, they understood, or if I forgot to attach a document to an email or called them back for a clarification, I didn’t seem too unprofessional because in their eyes I was just an intern who was still learning. Once I had this knowledge in my head, my confidence grew, and the more mumbling and wrong spelling I was picked up on, the more I learned and the more mistakes I began avoiding.

There was this one mistake, however, that was my full responsibility and therefore something I couldn’t blame on my title ‘intern’. I had written a story for the Dogs’ Refuge Home in Shenton Park, which involved a Kallaroo resident adopting a dog. I had been in contact with the resident since day one of writing the story and during the whole process, he was nothing but kind to me over the phone. When it came to asking for a photo to accompany the story, he made it clear that he was very camera shy and repeatedly asked for someone to accompany him when the photographer came to his house. And in response to his pleads, I would reply (numerously) that I would attend the photo shoot and make sure everything runs smoothly for him, of which he was extremely grateful for.

As the date of the photo came closer, I was given more and more tasks to do for the refuge and so, as the day of the Kallaroo photo shoot approached, it became the last thing on my mind and it took until the next morning to realise I had completely missed it. What a feeling that was, I felt TERRIBLE. I immediately contacted my supervisor which she advised for me to call him and appologise – now that was one phone call I was nervous for! Once I had explained to him what had happened, to my surprise, he was very good about it and understood that mistakes do happen. In this case, I couldn’t rely on my title ‘intern’, I think I was just lucky this guy was such a nice and understanding person.

So, things that I have learnt:
- People aren’t so scary to call and talk to on the phone
- People are generally understanding and I shouldn’t be scared of them
- Never break a promise with someone who is relying on you
- Always take responsibility for your own mistakes

5 comments:

tess said...

Love this blog post! I know exactly what you mean about the phone calls and interviews, I have never been so nervous as to call up a client for a phone interview! He turned out to be just about one of the nicest people I had dealt with so far and the interview I did turned into several press releases, which turned into articles being printed in some of the biggest mining magazines in Australia. Nerves conquered! It is definitely a hard thing to talk yourself into, but my mantra is always "what's the worst that could happen?" and i go through the worst, turns out nobody is going to die, and I make the call.

Thanks again for this post :)

Lisa Ingram said...

Hi Tess,
Thanks for your comment! It's so refreshing to know that other people feel the same way!
That is good advice about 'what is the worst that could happen'.. I will start telling that to myself every time I pick up for phone.
Thanks again for your reply and fab advice :)

Unknown said...

Love this blog post Lisa,
I totally get what you mean by being intimated to make phone calls as I find the task quite scary as well. But, it does seem to get slightly easier with more and more practice. I liked that you had the courage to ring up the guy and apologise i'm sure that it meant a lot to him and we often learn even more from mistakes.

Lisa Ingram said...

Hi Alicia,
I'm starting to get the impression that more and more interns feel the same way about interviewing people, which doesn't make me feel so alone anymore!
And you're absolutely right, the more I practise and learn, hopefully the more confidence I will grow.
And yes the gentleman was very appreciative over the phone and it gave me a great sense of relief as well.
Thanks for the great feedback.
Lisa

KATE. said...

Wow,

I found this blog particularly insightful.
I can completely relate about the nervousness of interviewing and calling people. Although what you have learnt is also very valuable and sometimes we forget we are dealing with other people just like us...it's nice to know there are some reasonable and understanding people out there though!

Kate