Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Didn't think it could be done

So my internship has come to an end, as so with it my uni days (almost).
I never thought this day would come.

Placement was always something I saw as the end of my degree and as it fast approached I was quite daunted by the thought of putting all my learning and skills to the test.

But now that it's over i'm reflecting on just what a valuable process it has been.
When i began at 96FM I felt like a little fish in a big pond full of people with great skills and knowledge and wondered how i could ever have any impact on a large organisation such as this and continue into the workforce to pursue public relations.

But with ending my internship came a burst of confidence that it can be done and you can have an impact, be it big or small.

My supervisor gave me the feedback that I truly needed, even though I didn't request it, and it gave me faith that I had accomplished what I had set out to do and in her eyes had surpassed the expectations of an intern.

I have found blogging a great way to look back and reflect on what I have been learning throughout my internship as often we don't really focus on the bigger picture.  But it has been a great way to see just how the skills we learn in the classroom are then used in the workplace.

Even if every little task I was given wasn't specifically PR, I can see that they have helped me to broaden my skill set. Even when you're handing out newspapers in the freezing cold, you're gaining great experience and putting those communication skills to the test. Being put under pressure in a professional environment has been a great experience in pushing myself and being a part of many exciting events and competitions.

Even though instead of writing media releases I found myself instead writing promotional scripts and letters and emails I have learnt a lot that will help in the future.

Good luck to everyone and especially to those graduating this semester.
Hope you have found it as rewarding an experience as I have.

Alicia

2 comments:

tess said...

Great post Alicia!

I feel exactly the same way about my placement! I was so nervous that I had talked my way into a placement and a job and wouldn't have enough to offer my organisation. After working for them for 5 months now though my workload has steadily increased from one day, to two days paid, to three days paid, to what is now beginning to look like a full time job once I finish uni. This is the most rewarding unit I have ever done and I too have so much more confidence about the future instead of feeling as daunted as I was 5months ago at the question "What will I do after uni?" :) :)

Tess xx

Unknown said...

Congratulations Tess,

How exciting that you got offered paid time work and its slowly increasing. Must have impressed them!

Good luck!

Alicia