Tuesday, June 4, 2013

PR adventure interstate


 On Monday I commenced my internship at The Big Issue in Sydney, which I will be undertaking for the duration of four consecutive weeks. By the end of the first week, I had been given all relevant information on the social enterprise by the marketing officer and was also assigned my major project for the month by my supervisor and State operations manager.

For those of you who are not familiar with The Big Issue, it is a social enterprise, which sells magazines to vendors for $3, who then re-sell at $6 and keep the profit. They also have a women’s subscription, street soccer and Big Issue classroom – all with similar aims at helping marginalised or homeless individuals to positively improve their lives.

In collaboration with local newspaper The South Sydney Herald – The Big Issue has been given an opportunity to feature a Vendor of the month profile in each publication. My task was to liaise with the editor of the newspaper and determine exactly what was required for these vendor profiles. The next step was to gather information already available on the vendors and seek information, which was not already available through previous interviews with the vendors. So, the first step was research. This involved going through the archives and finding previously published vendor profiles and documenting, which vendors were in what issue. For the project, there were ten vendors selected based on newspaper distribution in their pitch area.

The idea of this project is so that as each month approaches, The Big Issue staff can forward the vendor of the month information to the South Sydney Herald. By having it all in advance, operations can run smoothly throughout the year. The extra media coverage will benefit both the vendors and the bottom line of the company by having increased sales from increased media coverage in the suburbs.

In relation to PR theory I have already been exposed to project management, archiving, spreadsheets, and testing my organisational skills.

I feel I’ve settled in nicely and have a few events to look forward to in the coming weeks!

Kate

No comments: