Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
First week in the PR department
First week in the PR department
My first week in the Imdex Public Relations department started off with a brief introduction to the people that were situated within this area. Working for the company's Marketing and Admin department I have moved over to this department for the duration of my prac work and although previously did know this people it has been nice to get to know them on a higher level.
Working within the communications department of the business for only a week I am already beginning to see the key differences between Marketing and Public Relations, a concept which I thought I had grasped before, however coming out into a PR department has really shown me this concept.
After been introduced to the small but efficient team, my supervisor asked me what I was hoping to achieve by the time in her department. I told her I was hoping to gain a better understanding of the key importance of PR within a business and to improve my writing and proofing skills when submitting documents such as media releases.
With these main goals in mind, I was sent to work on my first project, this been the organization and relationship management between the department and stakeholders for an upcoming trade show.
I soon learnt there was more than one trade show to plan for in the coming months and my time in the PR department would give me a good understanding of the energy that goes behind this. I was excited to learn I would be doing event planning as a main part of my role as this is the area that most interest me about PR.
I am the first to admit there is a lot of over lap between the PR department and Marketing department at Imdex, so far it has been nice to examine the similarities and differences between the two.
I look forward to updating you more about the working of the Imdex PR department!
About Imdex
Imdex is basically the main company for many different companies and is the main name we use to communicate things to shareholders and stakeholders. Under this company however we have many different subsidiaries including Reflex Instruments and Australian Mud Company (AMC) to name a couple. So essentially its like I'm working for heaps of companies and relationship building with many stakeholders.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment