Friday, July 26, 2013

#foodstagramming



Foodstagramming is a continuously growing trend in which people posts photos of their food on Instagram and Twitter. With that said, my Instagram feed has turned into a constant stream of photos of other people’s food and I know I’m not the only one. 

Indonesians in particular, are up to date in almost all social media trends thanks to the popularity of the Blackberry and affordable internet mobile plans. I Googled and found that 95.7% of Indonesian netizens are active on social media. And as an Indonesian myself, I know firsthand the love affair my country has with social media, predominantly twitter.  

As mentioned in my first blog post, What restaurant PR brings to the table, I’m currently interning at a restaurant in Jakarta. As I spend much of my internship at the restaurant, I’ve been able to observe patterns in customers who follow a variety of social media trends. As expected, it is generally the young female adults aged 17-25 who spend the few good minutes uploading photos of their meals online. It therefore becomes essential for the restaurant to present their food, drinks and desserts in an artistic way that entices customers to take photos and upload online. A clear advantage of the foodstagram trend is the awareness and interest it creates online that will help in attracting future customers to the restaurant.

#parc19bistroterrace

Social media is a powerful PR tool that has become increasingly important in the restaurant scene across the world. Restaurateurs have altered their business models to integrate social media. Evidently, proactive use of social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram can significantly improve the business in terms of public awareness and interest, customer loyalty, profit and so forth. However, we should never forget the risks involved. Restaurants run the risks of having negative comments posted on their Facebook wall, which calls for constant monitoring. Burger King recently suffered a hacking incident which brought negative impacts on its brand reputation. A restaurant and other establishments must take the necessary actions in order to mitigate social media risks.

1 comment:

W said...

I completely agree with you. Facebook is not the only social media medium that we should be concerned about. The use of instagram is important in the image of a restaurant like PARC. If there is a consistency in the use of a hashtag #PARC and if the food are served not only to be tasty but also aesthetically pleasing, it should create a good brand image of the restaurant.